NEW YORK – Dartmouth scored a pair of goals in the first 13:04 of play Saturday and then held on to capture a 2-1 victory following a late second half own goal.

Dartmouth showed its speed early on in the contest, making numerous runs on the ball early. Just past the seven minute mark, Dartmouth struck with the first goal of the game in that fashion. Robin Alnas sent a nice ball down the middle of the field that Alex Adelbu chased down and then put into the bottom left corner of the net to give Dartmouth a 1-0 lead.

Just over six minutes later, the Big Green added to the lead with a tally off a corner kick. Kevin Dzierzawski sent the ball from the left corner through the box where it was batted around until Patrick Murray kicked it into the net for Dartmouth’s second goal.

Columbia regained its composure though and limited the opportunities for the remainder of the half. At the break, Dartmouth held an 8-3 advantage in shots.

The Lions came out in the second half with a renewed energy. Columbia picked up the physical intensity and was able to maintain possession and create more scoring chances in its own offensive zone.

Mike Abraham and Frederick Elliot each rocketed shots in the early portion of the half, but were off target. Columbia best chance came in the second half off a Henning Sauerbier corner kick. Sauerbier sent the cross towards the far post where Brendan O’Hearn was able to go up and head it towards the goal. The ball though struck the top of the right post and Dartmouth was able to clear it away.

Columbia’s continued attack paid off with a goal in the 81st minute, although unconventionally. The Lions threw the ball in from the far sideline to the penalty area. A Dartmouth defender raised up to clear the ball, but instead the ball went off the top of his head and sailed over his own goalie’s head, shrinking the Columbia deficit to one, 2-1.

The Lions continued the pressure and had a late chance off a free kick from midfield, but the Big Green held on for the victory.

Columbia will next be in action Saturday, Oct. 27 in New Haven, Conn. against Yale.