MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The No. 70 Columbia women's tennis team got back to .500 (2-2) on the season with a 4-2 upset of No. 42 Kansas State Saturday afternoon. Playing at the University of Memphis, the Lions took the doubles point and three singles matches en route to the victory. In the history of Columbia women's tennis, K-State is the highest ranked opponent that the Lions have beat.
Columbia got off to a good start against the Wildcats, winning the No. 1 and 2 doubles matches to go up 1-0. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya defeated No. 26 Petra Niedermayerova, 8-3, in the top singles match, while Nicole Bartnik and Crystal Leung captured the No. 2 match with an 8-3 downing of Ana Gomez Aleman and Carmen Borau Ramos.
In singles action, the Lions took matches No. 3-5 to clinch the four points needed for the win. Vaidya notched her second win of the match, beating Ivana Kubickova in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 3 match. Leung also picked up her second win on the day, capturing the No. 4 match over Ramos, 7-5, 6-1.
Katarina Kovacevic got in on the Lions' winning ways, toppling Aleman in the No. 5 match, 6-2, 6-1.
Columbia will be back on the courts at the Raquet Club of Memphis Sunday morning, taking on the Memphis Tigers.
(70) Columbia 4, (42) Kansas State
1. Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) def. (26) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State), 8-3
2. Nicole Bartnik/Crystal Leung (Columbia) def/ Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-4
3. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Lauren Stratman/Tiana Takenaga (Columbia), DNF
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. Bianca Sanon (Columbia), 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
2. Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. (37) Nicole Bartnik (Columbia), 6-3, 6-3
3. (109) Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) def. Ivana Kubickova (K-State), 6-3, 6-2
4. Crystal Leung (Columbia) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 7-5, 6-1
5. Katarina Kovacevic (Columbia) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 6-2, 6-1
6. Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Ioana Alecsiu (Columbia), DNF