No. 34 Menís Tennis Fights Past No. 38 Nebraska, 4-3
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 34 Columbia men's tennis team closed out the 2013 Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic Sunday with a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over No. 38 Nebraska. The Lions improve to 8-4 on the year with the win.
The Lions fell into an early hole to the Huskers, dropping the doubles point. No. 24 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur took the No. 1 doubles match over Andre Stenger and Marc Herrmann, 8-2, but Nebraska took the final two matches in close fashion.
Nebraska looked to be in full control of the match, winning the No. 3 and 5 singles matches to go up 3-0.
Columbia's comeback began in the top singles match as No. 34 Winston Lin downed Stenger in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. First-year Dragos Ignat got the Lions to within one after he blanked Herrmann in the opening set and then posted a 7-5 score in the second set to capture the No. 2 match.
In the No. 6 match, Bert Vancura evened the team score at 3-3 with a defeat of Sebastian Florcyk in a close match, 6-4, 7-6.
With the score knotted at 3-3, the match came down to the No. 3 singles contest between Schnur and Eric Sock. Schnur battled tough to take the first set, 7-5, and then dispatched of Sock with a 6-3 set to clinch the match for Columbia.
The Lions will remain in the South, with road matches at Southern Methodist, TCU and UT-Arlington scheduled for this week.
Columbia 4, Nebraska 3
1) Narayana/Schnur def. Stenger/Herrmann - 8-2
2) Boyer/Zitsch def. Lin/Bucher - 8-6
3) Videtich/Elsass def. Vancura/Ignat - 9-7
1) Winston Lin def. Andre Stenger - 6-2, 6-4
2) Dragos Ignat def. Marc Herrmann - 6-0, 7-5
3) Dusty Boyer def. Ashok Narayana - 6-1, 6-2
4) Max Schnur def. Eric Sock - 7-5, 6-3
5) Tom Blackwell def. Eric Rubin - 6-4, 6-2
6) Bert Vancura def. Sebastian Florcyk - 6-4, 7-6