HANOVER, N.H. – The Columbia women’s tennis team moved to 3-0 in the Ivy League with a 6-1 downing of Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H. Saturday afternoon.
Crystal Leung and Tina Jiang started the match off with a dominant 8-1 victory in the No. 2 doubles match. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win in the top match against Taylor Ng and Katherine Yau.
Vaidya then cruised to a straight-set win against Yau in the top singles match to push the Lions lead to 2-0. In the No. 6 match Ioana Alecsiu came away with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Sarah Besen. The winning point came from the No. 3 match, as Jiang bounced back from a 6-4 first set loss to win the next two against Jacqueline Crawford by 6-1 scores.
Crystal Leung finished off the match with a 7-6, 6-7, 12-10 win in the No. 4 match against Melissa Matsuoka.
The Lions return home next weekend to face Brown and Yale at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
1) No. 71 Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Katherine Yau (DART) 6-1, 7-6(5)
2) Bianca Sanon(COL) def. Taylor Ng (DART) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(3)
3) Tina Jiang (COL) def. Jacqueline Crawford (DART) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
4) Crystal Leung (COL) def. Melissa Matsuoka (DART) 7-6, 6-7, 12-10
5) Akiko Okuda (DART) def. Vivian Cheng (COL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6) Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Sarah Besen (DART) 6-3, 6-1
Order: 1, 6, 3, 2, 5, 4
1) Sanon/Vaidya (COL) def. Ng/Yau (DART) 8-4
2) Leung/Jiang (COL) def. Matsuoka/Okuda (DART) 8-1
3) Takenaga/Alecsiu (COL) vs. Tan/Leong (DART) 6-3, unfinished