CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The No. 20 Columbia men's tennis team snapped a 28-match Ivy League winning streak today, dropping a 4-2 decision at Harvard.
With the loss, the Lions fall to 14-4 on the season, and 3-1 against Ancient Eight foes.
After Shawn Hadavi and Jackie Tang came away with a 6-4 win in the second doubles match, the Crimson went on to take the next two matches, stealing the point. Harvard's Morrow/Weber team knocked off previously undefeated Christopher Grant and Michal Rolski, 7-5, while the top Columbia team fell in a tiebreaker, when Victor Pham and Richard Pham lost, 7-6 (7-4).
The Lions would quickly take back the lead, with wins in the first and sixth matches.
Hadavi made the team score 1-1, topping Sebastian Beltrame, 6-4, 6-0, before Timothy Wang put the Lions ahead with a 6-0, 6-2 win against Christopher Morrow.
Harvard would respond, earning three straight singles victories to upset Columbia.
Kenny Tao upended William Matheson fell to Andy Zhou, 6-2, 7-5, in the fifth, while Jackie Tang lost in the third set to Jean Thirouin, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. At the time of the Tang loss, Alex Keyser was a set up on Brian Yeung in the fourth singles match, taking the first, 7-6., 6-1, 6-4, in the second match,
The Lions will be back in action tomorrow at 1 p.m. on the road at Dartmouth.
DOUBLES (Order of finish: 2,3,1)
1) Yeung/Tao (Harvard) def. Pham/Pham (Columbia), 7-6 (7-4)
2) Hadavi/Tang (Columbia) def. Thirouin/Beltrame (Harvard), 6-4
3) Morrow/Weber (Harvard) def. Grant/Rolski (Columbia), 7-5
SINGLES (Order of finish: 1,6,2,5,3)
1) Shawn Hadavi (Columbia) def. Sebastian Beltrame (Harvard), 6-4, 6-0
2) Kenny Tao (Harvard) def. Victor Pham (Columbia), 6-1, 6-4
3) Jean Thirouin (Harvard) def. Jackie Tang, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4) Brian Yeung (Harvard) vs. Alex Keyser (Columbia), 6-7, DNF
5) Andy Zhou (Harvard) def. William Matheson (Columbia), 6-2, 7-5
6) Timothy Wang (Columbia) def. Christopher Morrow (Harvard), 6-0, 6-2