Columbia logo
- Final -      

HANOVER, N.H. – A comeback attempt fell short for the Columbia men’s soccer team, as No. 20 Dartmouth held on for a 2-1 victory against the Lions on Saturday night at Burnham Field.

Dartmouth got the scoring started in the first half, off the head of Eduvie Ikoba. In the 15th minute, Dawson McCartney found Ikoba on a long cross from the left side, as Ikoba’s header went past Dylan Castanheira for the goal.

Aside from the Big Green score, both sides had trouble finding opportunities in the first half, as the Lions finished the first 45 minutes without a shot, while Dartmouth only put three attempts towards the net.

In the opening minutes of the second half, the Big Green were once again able to knock in a goal, this time off the foot of Noah Paravincini. Another centering pass from the left side came towards Paravincini, this time from Zach Kalak, who found his teammate for the second score of the game.

The Lions were able to stay aggressive after the second goal, as attempts by Zach Morant, Vana Markarian, and Beto Carillo all were saved by Christopher Palacios in the first 14 minutes of the second.

The shots kept coming for Columbia in the half, as Kynan Rocks hit the crossbar on an attempt with six minutes to play. The resulting corner kick sailed just high of Arthur Bosua and through to the far sideline, as the Big Green again held off the Lions.

Just two minutes later, Columbia did break through, as John Denis cut back to his right from just outside the box and fired a shot between a pair of defenders towards Palacios. The stinging attempt was initially deflected in the air and batted back into play as it rolled towards the line before being called a save. However, after the sideline official met with the head referee and confirmed that Denis did in fact score, making it a 2-1 match with 4:35 remaining.

Columbia had another late attempt, but a Dartmouth defender blocked a low shot, and Dylan Mott’s resulting cross towards Bosua was handled by Palacios to preserve the victory for the Big Green.

Dartmouth is now the lone unbeaten team in conference play, improving to 9-3-1 on the season and 3-0-1 in Ivy play. The Lions fall to 6-2-3 (2-1-1 Ivy) with the loss, and have a road match at Rutgers up next on Wednesday evening.