ARLINGTON, Texas - The Columbia men's tennis team stole the doubles point and the bottom three singles matches to post a win today at UT-Arlington. The victory helped the No. 9 ranked Lions improve to 10-2 this spring, while the Mavericks fall to 9-8 overall.
In doubles play, No. 8 ranked Victor Pham and Jackie Tang rolled past Mauricio Del Rio and Guanarteme Nuez, 6-1, earning their sixth win this spring. The doubles point was sealed when Adam Ambrozy and Michal Rolski topped Andre Russo and Enrique Pardo, 6-3. At the time of the clinch, Jack Lin and William Matheson led Sansidh Kommaraju/Eduard Simo, 5-2.
Singles play went impressively for the bottom three matches, as Timothy Wang cruised past Simo, 6-0, 6-1, making it a 2-0 match. Ambozy defeated Kommaraju in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, as a trio of matches headed to a third set.
First-year Austen Huang would take the No. 5 singles match, coming back after dropping the first set. Against Abhishek Bostola, Huang posted a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory, clinching the match for the Lions with a 4-1 win.
At the time of the singles victory, No. 37 Tang led 5-4 in the third set in No. 2 singles, Jack Lin was down 7-6, 5-3 in the No. 3 match, and Pham had retired in the top match after splitting the first two sets.
Columbia takes Saturday off, then heads to No. 32 TCU on Sunday, wrapping up the spring break trip with an 11 a.m. match.
1) #8 Victor Pham/Jackie Tang def. Mauricio Del Rio/Guanarteme Nuez, 6-1
2) Jack Lin/William Matheson unf. Sansidh Kommaraju/Eduard Simo, 5-2
3) Adam Ambrozy/Michal Rolski def. Andre Russo/Enrique Pardo, 6-3
1) Guanarteme Nuez def. #7 Victor Pham, 1-6, 6-3, 5-0 ret.
2) #37 Jackie Tang unf. Enrique Pardo, 6-3, 4-6, 5-4
3) Jack Lin unf. Mauricio Del Rio, 6-7, 3-5
4) Adam Ambrozy def. Sansidh Kommaraju, 6-2, 6-2
5) Austen Huang def. Abhishek Bostola, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6) Timothy Wang def. Eduard Simo, 6-0, 6-1