PHILADELPHIA – The 65th-ranked Columbia women’s tennis team made easy work of Penn Friday, downing the Quakers, 4-0, in the final road match of the season for the Lions. Columbia improves to 5-1 against the Ivy League and will conclude the regular season at home against Princeton Sunday.
The Lions’ second doubles tandem of Nicole Bartnik and Crystal Leung improved to 8-3 this spring, defeating Stephanie Do and Alex Ion in the first match to conclude. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya, the No. 48 ranked doubles team clinched the doubles point for Columbia by taking down No. 44 Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva, 8-5, in the top match.
Columbia continued to dominate as the match moved to singles competition. Sanon allowed Do to win just one game over two sets, increasing the Columbia lead to 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 showing. The No. 6 match brought Columbia’s third point when Ioana Alecsiu breezed past Katherine Jania for a 6-1, 6-1 victory.
Vaidya sealed the win for Columbia in the No. 3 match. After getting through the first set cleanly, 6-0, Vaidya and Latycheva engaged in a tough second set, but the Lion prevailed, 7-5. With championship scoring being used today, the win sealed the 4-0 team victory for Columbia.
The Lions, who with the win have secured their best conference finish ever, are currently in second-place in the Ivy League, even in victories with Yale (5-0). The Lions will wrap up the 2013 regular season at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center against Princeton on Sunday. First serve is slated for noon.
1) No. 48 Sanon/Vaidya (C) def. No. 44 Eskenazi/Latycheva - 8-5
2) Bartnik/Leung (C) def. Do/Ion (P) - 8-3
3) Alecsiu/Takenaga (C) vs. Jania/Whitfield (P) – 5-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1, 3 DNF
1) No. 70 Nicole Bartnik (C) vs. Sol Eskenazi (P) – 6-3, 1-2, DNF
2) Bianca Sanon (C) def. Stephanie Do (P) – 6-0, 6-1
3) Kanika Vaidya (C) def. Sonya Latycheva (P) – 6-0, 7-5
4) Crystal Leung (C) vs. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) – 6-1, 5-2, DNF
5) Tiana Takenaga (C) vs. Alex Ion (P) – 6-2, 2-0, DNF
6) Ioana Alecsiu (C) def. Katherine Jania (P) – 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2,6,3