NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team improved to 4-0 Saturday, with a 7-0 win over the Marist Red Foxes. Columbia dropped only one match all day at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The brother duo of Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher had the first win for the Lions, beating Marist’s Billy Bishop and Matteo Giudici, 8-3 at No.3. The first-year pair of Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur clinched the doubles point in favor of the Lions, as they had a win in the No.1 spot over Will Reznek and Lorenzo Rossi, 8-5. At No.2 doubles, first years Bert Vancura and Winston Lin fought hard, but fell in a tiebreaker to Joris Van Eck and Matt Himmelsbach, 9-8(5).
Singles saw Columbia take all six wins, dropping only one set along the way. Junior Nathaniel Gery had a three set battle in the No.2 spot, as he beat Himmelsbach after dropping the second set, 7-6, 6-7, 6-1. Lin had a quick win at No.1, as Van Eck retired in the second, 6-1, 5-0, ret. Narayana won at No.3, beating Rossi, 6-1, 7-5, while Vancura beat Reznek at No.4, 6-0, 6-3.
Two upperclassmen also had wins at the bottom of the lineup. Yetimoglu won at No.5, beating Dalen Klassen, 6-4, 6-1, while senior Rajeev Deb-Sen won at No.6, 6-2, 6-2 over Joseph Dube.
Up next for Columbia is the ECAC Tournament, March 17-19
Columbia 7, Marist 0
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Will Reznek/Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) 8-5
2. Joris van Eck/Matt Himmelsbach (MAR) def. Bert Vancura/Winston Lin (COL) 9-8 (10-5)
3. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Billy Bishop/Matteo Giudici (MAR) 8-3
1. Winston Lin (COL) def. Joris van Eck (MAR) 6-1, 5-0, retired
2. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Matt Himmelsbach (MAR) 7-6, 6-7, 6-1
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) 6-1, 7-5
4. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Will Reznek (MAR) 6-0, 6-3
5. John Yetimoglu (COL) def. Dalen Klassen (MAR) 6-4, 6-1
6. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) def. Joseph Dube (MAR) 6-2, 6-2