Menís Tennis Falls to St. Johnís at ECAC Tournament, 4-2
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team suffered its second straight loss Saturday in Hanover, N.H., as the Lions fell to local rival St. John’s, 4-2, in the consolation bracket of the ECAC Team Championships.
The Red Storm took the doubles point first, with wins in the Nos. 2 and 3 spots. Juniors Nathaniel Gery and John Yetimoglu fell at No. 2, 8-6, while first-years Winston Lin and Bert Vancura fell at No.3 doubles, also 8-6. Columbia did get a win in the No.1 spot, where Max Schnur and first-year Ashok Narayana beat St. John’s, 8-4.
In singles, Columbia had wins in the Nos. 2 and 3 spots to stay in the match, as Lin beat his opponent 7-6, 6-4, and Gery won at No. 2, 6-4, 7-6. Columbia had a loss at No.1, as Haig Schneiderman fell 6-4, 6-2, while two three set battles at the bottom of the lineup proved to be the end for the Lions.
Vancura suffered a loss after a second-set rally, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 at No.5, while Narayana suffered a similar fate, falling 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at No.4. Yetimoglu was still battling in the third set when the match was called, 6-2, 6-7, 5-4, DNF.
Up next for the Lions is Yale, Sunday, February 19 at 8 a.m.
Saint John's 4, Columbia University 2
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Stefan Bojic/Valentin Mihai (STJ) 8-4
2. Milo Hauk/Ilija Vucic (STJ) def. Nathaniel Gery/John Yetimoglu (COL) 8-6
3. Vasko Mladenov/Mike Lampa (STJ) def. Winston Lin/Bert Vancura (COL) 8-6
1. Vasko Mladenov (STJ) def. #52 Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Winston Lin (COL) def. Milo Hauk (STJ) 7-6, 6-4
3. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Stefan Bojic (STJ) 6-4, 7-6
4. Ilija Vucic (STJ) def. Ashok Narayana (COL) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
5. Mike Lampa (STJ) def. Bert Vancura (COL) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. John Yetimoglu (COL) vs. Matty Najfeld (STJ) 2-6, 7-6, 4-5, unfinished