NEW YORK - The Columbia men’s tennis team recorded one of its biggest wins of the season Tuesday, as the Lions upset nationally ranked #62 Texas Christian, 6-1 in Fort Worth, Texas. The match, which was the first outdoor match for Columbia this season, improved the Lions’ record to 9-2 overall, while TCU fell to 5-8 on the season.
Columbia opened with a win in the No.2 doubles spot, where first-year Winston Lin and senior Haig Schneiderman captured a thrilling 9-7 win over Daniel Sanchez and Max Stevens. Shortly after, juniors John Yetimoglu and Nathaniel Gery clinched the doubles point with a 9-7 win in the No.3 spot, beating Nick Chappell and Blake Wiggins. First-years Max Schnur and Ashok Narayana nearly made it a sweep, but fell to Paul Chappell and JT Sundling in a tiebreaker at the No.1 spot, 9-8 (8).
Up 1-0 heading into the singles matches, Columbia needed just three wins to clinch the team wins, and got them from the middle of the lineup. First-year Bert Vancura earned the first win for the Lions, beating Paul Chappell, 6-4, 7-6(3) at No.5. Shortly after, Gery beat Facundo Lugones at No.3, 6-4, 7-5, to put the Lions up 3-0. And Narayana clinched the upset in the No.4 spot, where he beat Sanchez, 7-5, 6-2.
With the Columbia win assured, senior co-captain Haig Schneiderman retired in the third set at No.1, giving the Horned Frogs their first point of the day. Nick Chappell took the win, 6-4, 3-6, 3-1, ret. TCU returned the favor in the No.2 spot, where Sundling retired in the third, where he was down to Lin, 6-4, 3-6, 4-1, ret. Columbia made the final score 6-1 with a win by Yetimoglu in the No.6 singles spot, where he beat Max Stevens, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Up next for the Lions is a matchup against SMU, which will take place in Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, March 14 at 12 p.m. ET.
Columbia 6, #62 TCU 1
1. P. Chappell/Sundling (TCU) def. Narayana/Max Schnur (CU), 9-8 (8)
2. Lin/Scheiderman (CU) def. Sanchez/Stevens (TCU), 9-7
3. Gery/Yetimoglu (CU) def. N. Chappell/Wiggins (TCU), 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 3*, 1
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Haig Schneiderman (CU), 6-4, 3-6, 3-1, retirement
2. Winston Lin (CU) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-4, 3-6, 4-1, retirement
3. Nathaniel Gery (CU) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Ashok Narayana (CU) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (CU) def. Paul Chappell (TCU), 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. John Yetimoglu (CU) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4*, 1, 2, 6