No. 70 Women’s Tennis Drops Tight Match to No. 40 Oklahoma State, 4-3
ATHENS, Ga. – The No. 70 Columbia women’s tennis team was tied with No. 40 Oklahoma State, 2-2, heading into the final three singles matches Monday, but the Cowgirls took two of three to edge the Lions, 4-3, in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend tournament.
Oklahoma State was able to take the early lead, winning the top two doubles matches to secure the doubles point. Kanika Vaidya and Lauren Stratman came away with a win in the No. 3 match, downing Maria Alvarez and C.C. Sardinha in a tiebreaker, 8-7 (8-6). The win evened doubles at 1-1, but the 37th-ranked tandem of Bianca Sanon and Tiana Takenaga lost a tough match to Oklahoma State’s Malika Rose and Kanyapat Narattana, 8-6, to give the Cowgirls the point.
Sanon and Vaidya swung the match in favor of Columbia with a pair of wins to begin singles action. No. 81 Sanon was able to ease by No. 89 Meghan Blevins, 6-2, 6-3, to even the score at 1-1. Vaidya followed with a straight-set win of her own, toppling Sardinha, 7-6 (6-4), 6-1, to put the Lions up 2-1.
The Cowgirls would not go away though, winning the next three matches to secure to victory. Stratman went up a set early in the No. 4 match, but Alvarez rebounded to take the next two and the match.
In the top match, No. 24 Nicole Bartnik evened the match at one-set apiece after capturing the second set, but Rose was able to take the final set, 6-2. Karyn Guttormsen closed the match out for Oklahoma State with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ioana Alecsui in the No. 6 match.
Columbia got its third point with a win by Crystal Leung in the No. 5 match. Leung took a final set tiebreaker, 10-8, to pick up the victory.
The Lions will host Florida International in its home-opener next Sunday, Feb. 3 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m.
No. 40 Oklahoma State 4, No. 73 Columbia 3
1. Malika Rose/Kanyapat Narattana (OKST) def. No. 37 Bianca Sanon/Tiana Takenaga (COL) 8-6
2. Karyn Guttormsen/Meghan Blevins (OKST) def. Nicole Bartnik/Crystal Leung (COL) 8-3
3. Kanika Vaidya/Lauren Stratman (COL) def. Maria Alvarez/C.C. Sardinha (OKST) 8-7 (8-6)
1. Malika Rose (OKST) def. No. 24 Nicole Bartnik (COL) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. No. 81 Bianca Sanon (COL) def. No. 89 Meghan Blevins (OKST) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 85 Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. C.C. Sardinha (OKST) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
4. Maria Alvarez (OKST) def. Lauren Stratman (COL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Kanyapat Narattana (OKST) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Karyn Guttormsen (OKST) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 6-3, 6-2
Match Notes: Columbia 0-2; National ranking No. 73
Oklahoma State 2-1; National ranking No. 40
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,4,1,6,5)