No. 51 Memphis Edges No. 70 Columbia, 4-3
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The No. 70 Columbia women's tennis team wrapped up its weekend trip to Memphis, Tenn. with a Sunday morning matchup against the Memphis Tigers. Columbia went up 3-1 on Memphis, but the Tigers rallied to win the final three singles matches to defeat the Lions 4-3.
The Lions took an early 1-0 lead by capturing the doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and 3 contests. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya defeated their second top-40 opponent of the weekend, blanking No. 35 Kelly Grey and Courtney Collins in the top doubles match. Lauren Stratman and Tiana Takenaga also topped a ranked tandem, defeating No. 47 Stefanie Mikesz and Caroline Wegner, 8-5.
In singles action, the 61st-ranked Collins evened the team score at 1-1 with a victory in the No. 1 singles match. Columbia responded with triumphs in the No. 4 and 2 match. Crystal Leung won her second singles match of the weekend as she beat Mikesz in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Sanon picked up the Lions' third point by defeating Tiffany Welcher, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 2 match.
Unfortunately for Columbia, the Tigers reeled off wins in the final three matches to improve to 5-2 on the year, while dropping the Lions to 2-3.
Columbia returns to the court next Saturday when they visit Maryland to take on the Terrapins at 11 a.m.
No. 51 Memphis 4, No. 70 Columbia 3
1. No. 61 Courtney Collins (MEM) def. No. 37 Nicole Bartnik (COL) 6-3, 6-2
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Tiffany Welcher (MEM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Liza Tymchenko (MEM) def. No. 109 Kanika Vaidya (COL) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-4
4. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Stefanie Mikesz (MEM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Caroline Wegner (MEM) def. Lauren Stratman (COL) 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
6. Alyssa Hibberd (MEM) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) 6-3, 7-5
1. Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. No. 35 Kelly Gray/Courtney Collins (MEM) 8-0
2. Nicole Bartnik/Crystal Leung (COL) vs. Tiffany Welcher/Alyssa Hibberd (MEM) 6-5, unfinished
3. Lauren Stratman/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. #47 Stefanie Mikesz/Caroline Wegner (MEM) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,4,2,3,5,6)