Game 1 Box Score | Game 2 Box Score

NEW YORK – The Columbia baseball team dropped both ends of its doubleheader against Dartmouth on Sunday, falling by 3-2 and 7-4 scores at Robertson Field at Satow Stadium.

The Lions fell to 9-14 on the season and 2-2 in Ivy League play while the Big Green improved to 14-3 overall and also reached .500 in Ivy League action with a 2-2 mark.

Game 1 Recap:

It was a tight first game held scoreless through four innings behind the arms of Dartmouth’s Mitch Horacek and Columbia’s Tim Giel. Before long it became a homerun battle between the teams to score each of the game’s runs.

A leadoff solo homerun by Dustin Selzer in the top of the fifth gave the Big Green a 1-0 advantage. Dartmouth continued to roll in the sixth as Jeff Keller ripped a two-run homer to right field to extend the Big Green’s lead to 3-0.

The Lions answered with a six-inning rally in the bottom of the frame, starting with a double down the right field line by Eric Williams. Alex Black stepped up to the plate and smacked a two-run homerun to put the Lions on the board and make it a close 3-2 contest.

Giel, who pitched a complete game for the Lions, made it a three-up, three-down final inning to give the Lions a chance to make a comeback in the bottom of the seventh.

Thomas Olson came in to relieve Keller, notching two outs after a groundout and fly out. David Vandercook attempted a Columbia rally with a two-out double, but Keller finished off of the inning holding the Lions scoreless.

Horacek earned the win for Dartmouth scattering two runs on four hits and five strikeouts over six innings on the mound.

Game 2 Recap:

Dartmouth took an early 2-0 lead in the first inning and led the entire way. Matt Parisi was hit by a pitch and advanced to third following back-to-back singles by Nick Ruppert and Coble. Parisi then scored thanks to a sacrifice fly to center field by Nick Lombardi, and Keller followed up with an infield groundout allowing Ruppert to score on the play.

The Lions trimmed their deficit in half in the bottom of the second but the Big Green exploded with a five-hit, five-run third inning to expand their advantage to 7-1.

Neither team scored over the next four innings until Columbia attempted a late-inning comeback with a pair of runs in the eighth and another in the ninth before ultimately falling short by a 7-4 score.