First-place Columbia (11-4, 4-0 Ivy League) earned the win by notching five victories in singles action after dropping the doubles point to the Bears. Brown lost its third straight match, falling to 6-10 on the season while remaining winless (0-3) in Ivy League action.
The Bears went ahead 1-0 after winning at the top two flights in doubles action. Misia Krasowski and Hannah Camhi topped Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya by an 8-3 score at No. 1. Nicole Bartnik and Crystal Leung battled a tightly contested game at No. 2 but ultimately fell 8-6 to Nikita Uberoi and Ammu Mandalap as Brown took the doubles point.
Columbia came back and dominated in singles action, roaring to three victories in straight sets before Leung battled to a three-set victory to capture the win.
Sanon won by a convincing 6-1, 7-5 score at No. 2 over Brown’s Hannah Camhi. Vaidya followed suit with a 6-2, 6-1 straight-set win over Sarah Kandath at No. 3, and Ioana Alecsiu completed the trifecta with a 6-2, 6-1 victory vs. Oliva Hsu at No. 6.
With the Lions holding a 3-1 lead, two potentially match-deciding games were still battling it out on the courts. Leung and Mandalap split their sets to force a third at No. 5, while Bartnik and Krasowski were back-and-forth at No. 1 as they also split their sets.
After dominating 6-0 in her first set, Leung fell short in set two as Mandalap rallied to win 7-5, evening the series. It was a tight third and deciding set, but Leung pulled off a 7-5 victory, finishing before Bartnik and Krasowski to notch the fourth and winning point for the Lions.
Bartnik ultimately won her third-set tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, adding an exclamation point to an already successful outing for the Columbia team.
The Lions have a big test ahead on Sunday at noon they look to continue their Ivy League winning streak at No. 37 Yale. Both Columbia and Yale are atop the Ivy League standings as the only remaining unbeaten teams conferene action.
1) Krasowski/Camhi (BRO) def. Sanon/Vaidya (COL) – 8-3
2) Uberoi/Mandalap (BRO) def. Bartnik/Leung (COL) - 8-6
3) Takenaga/Alecsiu (COL) vs. Hsu/Kandath – 8-7 DNF
1) Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Misia Krasowski (BRO) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2) Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Hannah Camhi (BRO) - 6-1, 7-5
3) Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Sarah Kandath (BRO) - 6-2, 6-1
4) Nikita Uberoi (BRO) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) – 1-6, 4-6
5) Crystal Leung (COL) def. Ammu Mandalap (BRO) - 6-0, 5-7, 7-5
6) Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Olivia Hsu (BRO) - 6-2, 6-1