NEW YORK- The No. 42 Lions started the spring season off by sweeping a doubleheader against Marist and Monmouth on Monday, Jan. 20 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The Lions started the day strong taking every match against Marist. Columbia dominated in doubles, quickly taking down all three of Marist’s pairs. The Lions’ hot streak continued into singles competition, where they won every match in straight sets. In five of the six singles matches, Columbia players allowed their respective opponents to win four games or less, highlighting the domination on the court for the Lions.
Columbia carried their momentum over to the Monmouth match taking all but one match on the day. The day ended with an exciting No. 6 match between Columbia’s Chris Sabaitis and Marist’s Jason Prezant. Sabaitis dropped the first set, 3-6, but came back swinging in the second set, winning 6-1. Sabaitis eventually fell in an exciting back and forth tiebreaker, 9-11.
The Lions will take part in the ITA Kick-Off Classic next weekend when they travel down to Georgia to take on the UGA Bulldogs on Saturday, Jan. 25 and either Stanford or Washington on Sunday, Jan. 26.
Columbia 7, Marist 0
1. No. 8 Winston Lin (COL) def. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) 6-0, 6-2
2. Max Schnur (COL) def. Dalen Klassen (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 125 Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Will Reznek (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Joseph Dube (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Fredrik Bjerke (MAR) 6-2, 7-5
6. Eric Rubin (COL) def. Dylan Fletcher (MAR) 6-3, 6-0
1. No. 14 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Will Reznek/Lorenzo Rossi (MAR), 8-4
2. Winston Lin/ Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Dalen Klassen/Fredrik Bjerke (MAR) 8-1
3. Eric Rubin/Bert Vancura (COL) def. Matteo Giudici/Dylan Fletcher (MAR) 8-1
Columbia 6, Monmouth 1
1. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Freddy Marcinkowski (MON) 6-1, 6-0
2. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Bee Kumthonkittikul (MON) 6-1, 6-2
3. Richard Pham (COL) def. Luke Adamus (MON) 6-1, 6-1
4. Shawn Hadavi (COL) def. Chris Vieira (MON) 6-0, 6-4
5. Daniel Morgan (COL) def. Ramy Bekheit (MON) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jason Prezant (MON) def. Chris Sabaitis (COL) vs. 6-3, 1-6, 11-9 Tiebreaker
1. No. 14 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Freddy Marcinkowski/ Christian Vieira (MON) 6-5
2. Eric Rubin/Bert Vancura (COL) def. Bee Kumthonkittikul/Luke Adamus (MAR) 6-0
3. Eric Jacobs/Marc Lemann (COL) def. Ramy Bekhiet/Jason Prezant (MAR) 6-3
*only played to 6