NEW YORK - The Columbia men’s tennis team took down the DePaul Blue Demons in decisive fashion on Sunday, Feb. 2 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center, 7-0.
After a hard fought battle in doubles competition, the Lions clinched the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead. Dragos Ignat and Richard Pham grabbed the first match taking down Paul John and Joshua Schramm, 6-0, in the No. 3 match. The No. 1 and 2 matches were tough battles going back and forth throughout. Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer were able to clinch the doubles point with a victory over Tim Corwin and Sten Leusink, 6-4.
It was another fight in the singles competition, as the Lions took all 6 matches in straight sets. Ignat quickly defeated Sten Leusink in straight sets in the No. 2 match. In the No. 3 shot, Schnur defeated Kyle Johnson 6-2, 6-4. No. 8 Winston Lin defeated Dzanko in a long No. 1 match, 6-4, 6-4. Vermeer was able to grab the win against Joshua Schramm in an exciting second match tiebreaker.
The Lions are back in action on Friday, Feb. 14 at the ECAC Championships.
No. 40 Columbia 7, Depaul 0
1. No. 14 Ashok Narayana/ Max Schnur (COL) vs. Filip Dzanko/Jan-Willem Fieler (DEP), 4-5, unfinished
2. Winston Lin/Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Tim Corwin/Sten Leusink (DEP), 6-4
3. Dragos Ignat/Richard Pham (COL) def. Paul John/Joshua Schramm (DEP), 6-0
1. No. 8 Winston Lin (COL) def. Filip Dzanko (DEP), 6-4, 6-4
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Sten Leusink (DEP), 6-1, 6-1
3. Max Schnur (COL) def. Kyle Johnson (DEP), 6-2, 6-4
4. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Paul John (DEP), 6-2, 6-2
5. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Joshua Schramm (DEP), 6-2, 6-5
6. Eric Rubin (COL) def. Tim Corwin (DEP), 6-1, 6-2