No. 36 Women's Tennis Defeats Kansas State
New York- The No. 36 Columbia women’s tennis team took down the Kansas State Wildcats today at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center, 6-1.
The Lions got off to a solid start, grabbing the doubles point. Tiana Takenaga and Ioana Alecsiu gained the first half point taking down Palma Juhasz and Riley Nizzi in the No. 3 match. No. 28 Tina Jiang and Crystal Leung finished shortly after, defeating Maria Panaite and Livia Cirnu 8-2 in the No. 2 match and claimed the doubles point for Columbia.
In the singles competition, the Lions clinched the win as Vivian Cheng, Leung and Jiang defeated their oppenents in straight sets. Vaidya and Niedermayerova battled it out in the No. 1 match with Niedermayerova taking the only point for the Wildcats.
Alecsiu played the toughest battle of the day against St. Hill. Both players fought it out in the first set with Alecsiu coming out with the 7-5 victory. Alecsiu came out on top with a second set win, 6-3.
The Lions will return to action on Sunday, March 2 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center against Memphis at 10 a.m.
No. 36 Columbia 6, Kansas State 1
1. Sanon/Vaidya (COL) vs. Niedermayerova/St. Hill (KSU) 2-3, unfinished
2. Jiang/Leung (COL) def. Panaite/Cirnu (KSU) 8-2
3. Takenaga/Alecsiu (COL) def. Juhasz/Nizzi (KSU) 8-0
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Kanika Vaidya (COL) 7-5, 6-2
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Maria Panaite (KSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Palma Juhasz (KSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Crystal Leung (COL) def. Livia Cirnu (KSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) vs. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Vivian Cheng (COL) def. Riley Nizzi (KSU) 6-2, 6-0