FORT WORTH, Texas – The 19th-ranked Columbia men’s tennis team fell behind 2-0 early on to No. 47 TCU, but strong singles play lead the Lions to a 4-3 come-from-behind win Thursday night at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
The Horned Frogs got off to a quick start with a pair of wins in the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches to earn the first team point of the match. No. 12 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur scored the Lions only doubles win, taking down No. 13 Nick Chappell and Will Stein, 8-4.
Arnau Dachs extended the TCU lead with a win in the No. 2 match before Columbia got on the board with Bert Vancura winning the No. 5 match, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2, against Trey Daniel. Max Schnur tied the match up with a pivoval straight-set victory for the Lions over a ranked opponent, defeating No. 99 Facundo Lugones who previously was 14-3 at the top of the lineup for the Horned Frogs.
Mike Vermeer swung the match in favor of Columbia with a three-set win in the No. 6 match. After dropping the first set to Jhonathan Gonzalez, 6-3, Vermeer put together sets of 6-2 and 6-3 to win the match.
TCU came right back though with Rodolfo Bustamante winning the No. 4 match in three sets.
That left the top singles match to deicide the final outcome. No. 14 Winston Lin dominated the opening set for Columbia, 6-1, but No. 53 Chappell took the second set, 6-2. Chappell then took a 4-0 lead in the third and deciding set, but Lin would come away the victor by winning 7 of the next 8 games in dramatic fashion, scoring a 6-1, 2-6, 7-5 victory.
The win extends the Lions’ win streak to 11 matches with a visit to UT-Arlington ahead on Saturday.
No. 19 Columbia 4, No. 43 TCU 3
1) No. 14 Winston Lin (COL) def. No. 53 Nick Chappell (TCU) 6-1, 2-6, 7-5
2) No. 109 Arnau Dachs (COL) def. Dragos Ignat (COL) 6-2, 6-2
3) Max Schnur (COL) def. No. 99 Facundo Lugones (TCU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
4) Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) def. Ashok Narayana (COL) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
5) Bert Vancura (COL) def. Trey Daniel (TCU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
6) Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Jhonathan Gonzalez (TCU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
1) No. 12 Narayana/Schnur (COL) def. No. 13 Chappell/Stein (TCU) – 8-4
2) Dachs/Daniel (TCU) def. Lin/Vermeer (COL) – 8-7
3) Blake/Lugones (TCU) def. Pham/Vancura (COL) – 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles – 1, 3, 2 Singles – 2, 5, 3, 6, 4, 1