No. 29 Women’s Tennis Blanks Florida International, 4-0
MIAMI – The 29th-ranked Columbia women’s tennis team wrapped up the out-of-conference portion of its schedule with a 4-0 shutout of Florida International in Miami Saturday. The Lions have now won seven straight matches heading into Ivy League play next weekend against Cornell.
Columbia dominated doubles action, winning the top two matches. In the No. 2 match, Crystal Leung and Tina Jiang breezed by Nina Nagode and Valentina Briceno, 8-1. The 13th-ranked tandem of Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya clinched the doubles point for Columbia with an impressive 8-2 victory over Tina Mohoric and Carlotta Orlando.
Singles competition proved similar for Columbia, as the Lions won the first three completed matches in straight sets. Jiang was the first to conclude play, dispatching Nagode with set scores of 6-2, 6-4. Doubles partner Leung followed suit in the No. 4 match, turning away Mohoric, 7-6 (7-2), 6-0.
Ioana Alecsiu brought home the match for the Lions, posting consecutive 6-3 sets in the No. 6 match against Valentina Briceno.
The Lions open Ancient Eight action at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center next Saturday, March 29, hosting Cornell. First serve is set for 12 p.m.
#27 Columbia 4, FIU 0
Mar 22, 2014 at Miami, Fla. (FIU Tennis Courts)
1. Carlotta Orlando (FIU) vs. #70 Kanika Vaidya (COLUMBIA) unfinished
2. Aleks Trifunovic (FIU) vs. #119 Bianca Sanon (COLUMBIA) unfinished
3. Tina Jiang (COLUMBIA) def. Nina Nagode (FIU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Crystal Leung (COLUMBIA) def. Tina Mohorcic (FIU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
5. Giulietta Boha (FIU) vs. Tiana Takenaga (COLUMBIA) unfinished
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COLUMBIA) def. Valentina Briceno (FIU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #13 Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (COLUMBIA) def. Tina Mohorcic/Carlotta Orlando (FIU) 8-2
2. Crystal Leung/Tina Jiang (COLUMBIA) def. Nina Nagode/Valentina Briceno (FIU) 8-1
3. Giulietta Boha/Aleks Trifunovic (FIU) vs. Tiana Takenaga/Vivian Cheng (COLUMBIA) unfinished
Columbia 11-2; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,6)