SEATTLE – A doubles point victory and three singles wins propelled No. 4 Georgia to a win over No. 13 Columbia in the first round of the ITA Team National Indoor Championship.
The tightly contested doubles point went to the Bulldogs, after the Lions put up a fight. Georgia snagged a 6-2 win in the second match, as Walker Duncan and Wayne Montgomery topped Jack Lin and William Matheson. The point then was evened, after Adam Ambrozy and Michal Rolski defeated Alex Diaz and Paul Oosterban, 6-4.
It would then come down to the top match, which paired Victor Pham and Jackie Tang with Jan Zielinski and Robert Loeb. After the Georgia pair pulled ahead 6-5, Pham and Tang fought back to force a tiebreak. Zielinski and Loeb would give up six points to the Columbia pair, but would emerge victorious as the Bulldogs took a 1-0 lead in the dual.
Strong play by the Bulldogs continued during the singles portion, when Georgia picked up victories in the bottom three matches to lead to the 4-1 win.
The Lions were able to escape with a point, as No. 49 Tang topped No. 31 Emil Reinberg, 6-2, 7-5. The win for Tang was his second over a Georgia player this season, as he beat Walker Duncan on Jan. 13 during the MLK Invitational at Georgia Tech, when the sophomore won the singles title during the three-day event.
In the second round, Columbia will take on No. 12 Baylor, who fell to No. 5 Stanford, 4-2. Saturday’s match time will get under way at 9:30 p.m. EST, with live stats available from the Seattle Tennis Club.
No. 4 Georgia 4, No. 13 Columbia 1
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2-3-1)
1) No. 8 Zielinski/Loeb def. No. 7 Pham/Tang, 7-6 (6)
2) Duncan/Montgomery def. No. 28 Lin/Matheson, 6-2
3) Ambrozy/Rolski def. Diaz/Oosterban, 6-4
1) No. 15 Victor Pham unf. No. 17 Wayne Montgomery, 6-4, 5-5
2) No. 49 Jackie Tang def. No. 31 Emil Reinberg, 6-2, 7-5
3) Jack Lin unf. No. 45 Nathan Ponwith, 7-5, 4-3
4) No. 26 Jan Zielinski def. Adam Ambrozy, 7-5, 6-4
5) No. 14 Walker Duncan def. Alex Keyser, 6-4, 6-3
6) Paul Oosterban def. Timothy Wang, 6-2, 6-3