SEATTLE – Columbia overcame a doubles point loss to take four singles matches and defeat No. 12 Baylor at the ITA Team Indoor National Championship on Saturday.
The win moves the No. 11/14 ranked Lions to 6-1 this spring, and leads to a dual with No. 9 Oklahoma State today.
Baylor stole the doubles point Saturday, picking up wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, in a showcase that featured three ranked pairs. The No. 12 ranked Johannes Schretter and Will Little team from the Bears topped No. 7 Victor Pham and Jackie Tang 6-1, but No. 28 Jack Lin and William Matheson evened it up with a 6-3 win over Jimmy Bendeck and Matias Soto. Shortly thereafter, Roy Smith and Sven Lah gave Baylor a 1-0 lead after getting by Michal Rolski and Adam Ambrozy, 6-3.
The lead would not last long for Baylor, as two straight-set singles victories for Columbia helped the Lions move ahead.
The No. 15 ranked Pham won his fourth match this spring over a ranked player, improving to 8-1 in the Lions No. 1 spot by beating No. 64 Bjoern Petersen, 6-2, 6-1. Columbia went up 2-1 when Timothy Wang held down the No. 6 spot with a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Smith.
Baylor evened the score with a win in the No. 4 singles spot, but a pair of Columbia victories shortly thereafter would clinch it for the Lions. Jack Lin topped No. 89 Lah at No. 3 singles 6-4, 6-1, while fellow-rookie Austen Huang won the clincher with a 6-3, 6-4 triumph against No. 104 Will Little.
Sunday’s match against the Cowboys will have live stats from the Seattle Tennis Club.
Doubles (Finish Order: 1-2-3)
1) No. 12 Schretter/Little def. No. 7 Pham/Tang, 6-1
2) No. 28 Lin/Matheson def. Bendeck/Soto, 6-3
3) Smith/Lah def. Ambrozy/Rolski, 6-3
Singles (Finish Order: 1-6-4-3-5)
1) No. 15 Victor Pham def. No. 64 Bjoern Petersen, 6-2, 6-1
2) No. 24 Johannes Schretter unf. No. 49 Jackie Tang
3) Jack Lin def. No. 89 Sven Lah, 6-4, 6-1
4) Matias Soto def. Adam Ambrozy, 6-4, 6-2
5) Austen Huang def. No. 104 Will Little, 6-3, 6-4
6) Timothy Wang def. Roy Smith, 6-1, 6-2