HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Five Lions are still alive at the 2018 EIWA Championships, with Day Two action getting under way at 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Markus Scheidel and Garrett Ryan are slated to compete in the semifinal rounds of the championship bracket tomorrow, while JP Ascolese, Jacob Macalolooy, and Tyrel White are all alive in the consolation bracket.
- JP Ascolese dropped his opening bout to Navy’s Nicholas Gil at 141, but then survived and advanced with a pair of wins in the consolation bracket. The junior scored two takedowns on Julian Flores from Drexel en route to a 7-1 decision, before a late takedown against Binghamton’s Joe Russ led to a 9-6 victory. Ascolese is paired with Zeke Salvo in the consolation round of four tomorrow.
- Jacob Macalolooy topped Joe Olivia from Penn at 149 in his first match, 9-3, setting up a bout with top-seeded Matthew Kokodzik from Princeton. The former All-American sent Macalolooy to the consolation round with a 9-1 defeat, pairing him with Drexel’s Trevor Elfvin. The senior moved on to the second day of action after defeating Elfvin, 7-3, and will wrestle American’s Michael Sprague tomorrow.
- Markus Scheidel posted a first round win over Sacred Heart’s Paul Klee by a 9-3 score in the 157-pound bracket, before squaring off with Joe Velliquette from Penn. Scheidel got four nearfall points in the second period, propelling him to a 7-1 decision. The senior faces Brown’s Justin Staudenmayer, the No. 3 seed, tomorrow in the semifinal.
- Tyrel White gave the Lions bonus points at 174 with a 19-4 tech fall of Thomas Grosso from Sacred Heart before being matched with the No. 4 seeded Brandon Womack from Cornell. Womack recorded a takedown in the first period and led 3-0 in the second, but a White takedown made it a 3-2 match. Late in the third, White got in deep on a shot, but a takedown was not recorded and not reversed after a Columbia challenge, setting White up with Josh Young from Franklin & Marshall in the consolation bracket. The senior moved on with a 10-0 major decision of Young, and faces Drexel’s Austin Rose next.
- Heavyweight Garrett Ryan earned his 100th career victory when he pinned Harvard’s Angus Cowell in the first round. The No. 3 seed was then paired with No. 6 Antonio Pelusi from Franklin & Marshall in the quarterfinal bout. Ryan came out with a first period takedown to go ahead, then added another at the end of the third for a 5-2 decision. The senior faces the No. 2 seeded Jordan Wood of Lehigh tomorrow in the semifinal round.
- A pair of upper-weights in Andrew Psomas and Michael Bulkin were both able to win a match on the first day, but saw their tournaments come to a close with two losses each in the consolation bracket.
Day One Results
125 – Spencer Good
R1 – L, 15-4 vs. No. 2 Trey Chalifoux (Army)
Cons. – L, 12-1 vs. No. 7 Nolan Hellickson (Harvard)
133 – Chris Scorese
R1 – L, Fall (3:22) vs. No. 7 Cody Trybus (Navy)
Cons. – L, 13-7 vs. Jonathan Gomez (Princeton)
141 – JP Ascolese
R1 – L, 11-1 vs. No. 4 Nicholas Gil (Navy)
Cons. – W, 7-3 vs. Julian Flores (Drexel)
Cons. – W, 9-6 vs. No. 6 Joe Russ (Binghamton)
Cons. – vs. Zeke Salvo (Brown)
149 – No. 8 Jacob Macalolooy
R1 – W, 9-3 vs. No. 9 Joe Oliva (Penn)
QF – L, 9-1 vs. No. 1 Matthew Kolodzik (Princeton)
Cons. – W, 7-3 vs. No. 7 Trevor Elfvin (Drexel)
Cons. – vs. No. 5 Michael Sprague (American)
157 – No. 2 Markus Scheidel
R1 – W, 9-3 vs. Paul Klee (Sacred Heart)
QF – W, 7-1 vs. No. 7 Joe Velliquette (Penn)
SF – vs. No. 3 Justin Staudenmayer (Brown)
165 – Laurence Kosoy
R1 – L, 16-4 vs. No. 3 Jonathan Schleifer (Princeton)
Cons. – L, 12-2 vs. No. 6 Vincent DePrez (Binghamton)
174 – No. 5 Tyrel White
R1 – W, 19-4 vs. Thomas Grosso (Sacred Heart)
QF – L, 4-2 vs. No. 4 Brandon Womack (Cornell)
Cons. – W, 10-0 vs. Joe Young (F&M)
184 – Andrew Psomas
R1 – L, 5-3 vs. No. 5 CJ LaFragola (Brown)
Cons. – W, 15-4 vs. Steven Mercandante (F&M)
Cons. – vs. No. 3 Steve Schneider (Binghamton)
197 – Michael Bulkin
R1 – L, Fall (1:21) vs. No. 5 Jeric Kasunic (American)
Cons. – W, 12-0 vs. Joe Toci (Sacred Heart)
Cons. – L, 10-4 vs. No. 6 Steven Loiseau (Drexel)
HWT – No. 3 Garrett Ryan
R1 – W, Fall (1:23) Angus Cowell (Harvard)
QF – W, 5-2 vs. No. 6 Antonio Pelusi (F&M)
SF – vs. No. 2 Jordan Wood (Lehigh)