Dartmouth Holds Off Lions in Game Two to Clinch Baseball Doubleheader Sweep
Courtesy: Columbia University Athletics/Gene Boyars

NEW YORK After both teams swept doubleheaders a day earlier, Dartmouth took two games from Columbia on a cool, gray day at Robertson Field.


Kyle Hendricks tossed a five-hit shutout in game one to lift the Big Green to a 7-0 win, and Dartmouth held on to defeat the Lions 6-5 in the nightcap after Columbia had rallied from a three-run deficit earlier in the game.


Game 1


After three scoreless innings, the game appeared destined to be a low-scoring one.  Dartmouth’s Nick Santomauro ended that line of thought by leading off the top of the fourth with an opposite field home run over the left center field fence to put the visitors ahead, 1-0.


Lion starter Geoff Whitaker struck out Mike Pagliarulo, the next batter, but Ray Allen followed with a solo homer of his own to make it 2-0.


Dartmouth broke it open in the fifth with four runs, capped by Allen’s second home run of the day, which made it 6-0.


Columbia relievers Clay Bartlett and Joey Mizzoni combined for 1 2/3 scoreless innings before Derek Squires allowed a single run in the seventh.


The Lions got the leadoff man aboard in three of the last four innings but were unable to push across any runs against Hendricks, who picked up his first collegiate win after being selected in the 39th round of the MLB Draft last June.


Game 2


The long ball played another key role in the second game.  Nick Santomauro, who went 6-for-8 on the day with four runs scored, hit his second opposite field homer of the day with two outs and nobody on in the top of the first.


Nick Cox then tied it up in the bottom of the inning with his first home run of the season, a drive that cleared the center field wall, tying the game at 1-1.


In the second inning, Dartmouth strung together three straight hits on 0-2 pitches, a pair of singles and a three-run home run by Brett Gardner to center, giving the Big Green a 4-1 advantage.


Lion starter Roger Aquino settled in after the second, holding Dartmouth scoreless for four straight innings, allowing the Lions to get back into the contest.


In the Columbia fourth, Dean Forthun led off with a single, and two outs later, Ron Williams drilled his first home run of the season over the left field wall to make it a 4-3 game.


In the fifth, Billy Rumpke led off with a sharp single to right that scooted under the glove of Santomauro in right field.  The speedy Rumpke made it all the way to third, ultimately tying the game with one out on a sacrifice fly to deep center off the bat of Nick Cox.


The game stayed at 4-4 until the top of the seventh.  Dartmouth got the first two men on against Columbia reliever Pat Lowery.  Ray Allen then hit a ball wide of third that Mike Roberts gloved, but on his way to third, Santomauro eluded Roberts’ tag, putting runners at each base with no outs.


Jim Wren followed by lining a double down the left field line that scored two to put Dartmouth ahead 6-4.  Lowery pitched well to keep the Lions within two runs and proceeded to hang up zeroes in the eighth and ninth innings.


Columbia staged a two-out rally in the seventh when Kyle Roberts walked and Cox singled through the hole on the left side.  Bobby O'Brien then blooped a single into center field to score Roberts, making it a 6-5 game, chasing Dartmouth starter Cole Sulser.


Marco Mariscal came on to pitch to Dean Forthun, whose line drive went right to Jonathon Santopadre at third for the final out.


Ryan Smith came on to pitch the final two innings and yielded two Columbia hits but kept the Lions off the scoreboard for his third save of the season.


Columbia will next face Army in a midweek contest on Tuesday, March 31 in West Point, N.Y.  First pitch is slated for 3:30 p.m.