No. 42 Menís Tennis Advances at ECAC Championships with 4-2 Win Over George Washington
ITHACA, N.Y. - The No. 42 Columbia men's tennis team took down George Washington by a score of 4-2 in the opening round of the 2013 ECAC Indoor Tennis Championships Friday afternoon in Ithaca, N.Y. The Lions captured the doubles point and three singles matches en route to the victory.
No. 20 Max Schnur and Ashok Narayana started the Lions off with an 8-3 downing of Alex Van Gils and Ulrik Thomsen in the top doubles match. Winston Lin and Cyril Bucher ensured the doubles point for Columbia with an identical win in the No. 2 doubles match over Nikita Fomin and Danil Zelenkov.
After GW won the first two completed singles matches, Dragos Ignat got the Lions back to even with the Colonials, securing a win in the No. 3 singles match, 7-6(4), 7-6(3). No. 60 Lin gave Columbia the lead back with a three-set with over in the top singles match, defeating Francisco Dias in come-from-behind fashion, 6-7, 6-1, 6-2.
Schnur provided the victorious final point, defeating Ulrik Thomsen in the No. 5 match, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Columbia will move on to play the third-seeded Princeton Tigers Saturday, Feb. 16 at 3 p.m. in the semi-finals.
Columbia 4, George Washington 2
1) Narayana/Schnur (C) def. van Gils/Thomsen (GW) - 8-3
2) Lin/Bucher (C) def. Fomin/Zelenkov (GW) - 8-3
3) Rubin/Ignat (C) vs. Dias/Lapentti (GW) - DNF, 4-7
1) Winston Lin (C) def. Francisco Diaz (GW) - 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
2) Nikita Fomin (GW) def. Ashok Narayana (C) - 6-2, 6-4
3) Dragos Ignat (C) def. Danil Zelenkov (GW) - 7-6(4), 7-6(3)
4) Eric Ruben (C) vs. Alex van Gils (GW) - DNF 6-4, 6-7, 2-3
5) Max Schnur (C) def. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6) Viktor Svensson (GW) def. Cyril Bucher (C) - 6-3, 7-6
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 2, 3DNF
Singles: 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4DNF