No. 19 Menís Tennis Rallies Past SMU, 4-3
DALLAS – The Columbia men’s tennis team won its 10th consecutive match Tuesday afternoon, edging out SMU, 4-3.
Just hours after moving up to No. 19 in the nation, just two spots shy of the program’s best ranking of No. 17 back in 1987, the Lions took the court against the Mustangs. SMU grabbed the early lead in the match, winning the No. 2 and 3 doubles competitions, taking a 1-0 lead in the team scoring.
The Mustangs’ advantage extended to 2-0, as Mischa Nowicki won the No. 2 singles match. Columbia’s top singles player, and the 14th-ranked player in the nation, Winston Lin got the Lions on the board with a 6-0, 6-2, showing in the No. 1 singles match.
Max Schnur provided the equalizer in the No. 4 singles match for Columbia, taking down Arkidjas Slobodkins in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. Mike Vermeer gave Columbia its first lead of the match, posting back-to-back 6-4 sets to win the No. 6 match over Tony Russell.
Bert Vancura, seeing the Lions rally as a team, bounced back from a 6-0 loss in the first set, to take the next two, 6-2, 6-3, defeating Nate Lammons in the No. 5 match to clinch the victory for Columbia.
Columbia is back in action on Thursday, March 20, when it takes on TCU in Fort Worth.
Mar 18, 2014 at Dallas, Texas
#19 Columbia 4, SMU 3
1. #14 Lin, Winston (COLM) def. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Ignat, Dragos (COLM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Narayana, Ashok (COLM) 4-6, 7-6, 10-6
4. Schnur, Max (COLM) def. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Vancura, Bert (COLM) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Vermeer, Mike (COLM) def. Tony Russell (SMU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Mischa Nowicki/Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) vs. #12 Narayana, Ashok/Schnur, Max (COLM) unfinished
2. Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Lin, Winston/Vermeer, Mike (COLM) 8-5
3. Arturs Kazijevs/Tony Russell (SMU) def. Ignat, Dragos/Pham, Richard (COLM) 8-0
Columbia 12-1; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (2,1,4,6,5,3)