No. 18 Men's Tennis Wins Ivy League Opener to Bring Win Streak to 12
ITHACA, N.Y.- The No. 18 men’s tennis extended their winning streak to 12 on Saturday, March 29 when they shutout No. 43 Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., 7-0, for the Ivy League season opener.
The Lions jumped to a quick 1-0 lead taking the doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches. No. 12 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur faced a tough challenge in No. 69 Sam Fleck and Chris Vrabel, but prevailed, 8-3, in the top match. Richard Pham and Bert Vancura put together a solid performance in the No. 3 match, defeating Bernardo Casares Rosa and Stefan Vinti, 8-5. Cornell’s Jason Luu and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen were able to snag the No. 2 match in a hard fought 8-5 victory over Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer.
Losing the doubles match didn’t seem to faze Lin or Vermeer who won their singles matches in straight sets. The Big Red kept all of the matches close, earning at least two games in each set. Dragos Ignat bounced back from a set one loss in the No. 3 match to top Vinti, 3-6, 7-6, 10-6. Naryana and Schnur both won their matches in three sets after dropping the second set.
The Lions return home for their first home matches in nearly three weeks on Saturday, April 5 against Harvard and Sunday, April 6 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center. Both matches will start at 1 p.m.
#18 COLUMBIA 7, #42 CORNELL 0
1. #12 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. #69 Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (COR) 8-3
2. Jason Luu/Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (COR) def. Winston Lin/Mike Vermeer (COL), 8-5
3. Richard Pham/Bert Vancura (COL) def. Bernardo Casares Rosa/Stefan Vinti (COR) 8-5
1. #14 Winston Lin (COL) def. Sam Fleck (COR) 6-1, 6-3
2. Max Schnur (COL) def. Bernardo Casares Rosa (COR) 7-6, 4-6, (10-6)
3. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Stefan Vinti (COR) 3-6, 7-6, (10-6)
4. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Chris Vrabel (COR) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Jason Luu (COR) 6-4, 6-4
6. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (COR) 7-5, 6-4