NEW YORK - The 19th-ranked Lions won their 11th Ivy League title on Sunday, April 20 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center. Columbia shut out No. 61 Princeton, 4-0, to finish undefeated in Ivy League play for the first time since 2000. Columbia, which closed the regular season on an 18-match win streak, earns its first Ancient Eight title since 2010.
"All the things that we wanted to accomplish since September, we have now," said Bid Goswami, The Tennis Alumni and Friends Head Coach of Men's Tennis. "This was the last, to win the Ivy League outright and we surpassed our goals when we won the National Indoor title."
On Sunday, the Lions jumped out a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. The Tigers kept it tight through the beginning of each of the matches, but the Lions prevailed taking the No. 1 and 3 matches.
In the No. 3 match, Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer picked up the first win of the day, topping Thomas Colaitti and Joshua Yablon, 8-4. No. 10 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur secured the point for Columbia with a victory over Alexander Day and Zack McCourt in the top doubles match, 8-5.
Narayana used the momentum from his his doubles triumph to pick up the first win in singles. Going up against Yablon in the No. 4 match, Narayana posted a 6-1, 6-2 score to move the team score to 2-0 in favor of the Lions.
Shortly after, Bert Vancura made it a 3-0 Columbia advantage with his own striaght-set win in the No. 5 match. Facing Augie Bloom, Vancura shut out his opponent in the first set and then dropped just two games en route to the 6-2 second set win.
The match-clinching point came in the No. 2 match from Dragos Ignat. Standing across the net from Colautti, Ignat put together back-to-back 6-3 sets, setting the stage for his teammates to storm his court upon winning the match.
"I'm glad we won it for the junior class this year because since their first-year they worked very hard," said Goswami after the match. "All the guys are coming back next year and it'll be tough, but I think we can repeat."
Columbia will now wait until the NCAA Selection Show on April 29 at 5 p.m. to discover its regional draw. Individual championship selections will be announced the following evening at 6 p.m.
No. 19 Columbia 4, No. 61 Princeton 0
1. #10 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Alexander Day/Zack McCourt (PRIN) 8-5
2. Richard Pham/Bert Vancura (COL) vs. Augie Bloom/Dan Davies (PRIN) 7-7, unfinished
3. Winston Lin/Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Thomas Colautti/Joshua Yablon (PRIN) 8-4
1. #15 Winston Lin (COL) vs. Zack McCourt (PRIN) 5-7, 2-1, unfinished
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Thomas Colautti (PRIN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Max Schnur (COL) vs. Alexander Day (PRIN) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
4. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Joshua Yablon (PRIN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Augie Bloom (PRIN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Mike Vermeer (COL) vs. Dan Davies (PRIN) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finish
Doubles (3, 1) Singles (4, 5, 2)