Men's Tennis Opens ECAC Tournament with 4-3 Win over Boston College
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team opened the 2011 ECAC Men’s Indoor Tennis Championship in Cambridge, Mass. Friday, with a 4-3 win over Boston College. With the win, the Lions advance to the next round of the tournament, where they will take on top-seeded Cornell. This was the second time this season the Lions have face off against the Eagles. Last time out, Columbia won 5-2 over Boston College, in a match at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The Lions won the doubles point against the Eagles, which would prove to be the deciding factor in the close match. In the No.1 spot, senior Kevin Kung and sophomore Nathaniel Gery won over their BC opponents, 8-4. Junior Haig Schneiderman and first-year Tizian Bucher clinched the point for Columbia in the No.2 spot, as they won, 8-6. John Yetimoglu and Rajeev Deb-Sen suffered an 8-6 loss in the No.3 spot.
In singles, an altered lineup saw Boston College win in the Nos.1-3 spots, while the bottom of the lineup clinched the win for the Lions.
Schneiderman, who had beaten Akash Muppidi in straight sets in January, lost to him in the No.1 spot, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. Cyril Bucher was taking on Alex Skinner, and lost, 7-6, 6-0, while Kung fell to Erik Kreutzer in the No.3 spot, 6-4, 6-4.
Columbia’s wins in Nos. 3-6 spots proved to be crucial for the Lions in the win. All three came in hard-fought, three set wins. Gery, playing at No.4, dropped the first set to Jonathan Raude before bouncing back to win it in three, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. Sophomore Yetimoglu took an early lead over Michael McGinnis in the No.5 spot, before dropping the second set. He would take the third set to win a point for the Lions, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. And Tizian Bucher made it three points for the Lions in the No.6 spot, as he beat Jonathan Schroeder, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2.
With the win, the Lions are now 3-2 overall on the season, and advance to the next round of the tournament. They are slated to face top-seeded Cornell, Saturday, February 19 at 6:30 p.m.
1. Kevin Kung/Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Akash Muppidi/Billy Grokenberger (BC) 8-4
2. Haig Schneiderman/Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Alex Skinner/Michael McGinnis (BC) 8-6
3. Adam Davidson/Erik Kreutzer (BC) def. John Yetimoglu/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) 8-6
1. Akash Muppidi (BC) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
2. Alex Skinner (BC) def. Cyril Bucher (COL) 7-6, 6-0
3. Erik Kreutzer (BC) def. Kevin Kung (COL) 6-4, 6-4
4. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. John Yetimoglu (COL) def. Michael McGinnis (BC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) 7-6, 4-6, 6-2