NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team wrapped up the ECAC tournament with a 5-2 loss to Ivy League rival Brown Sunday, in Cambridge, Mass. With the loss, the Lions are now 3-4 overall.
Brown took an early lead by winning the doubles point, taking the top two spots. Nathaniel Gery and Kevin Kung lost at No. 1, 8-6, while brothers Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher lost at No. 2, 8-6. Columbia did manage to take a win in the No. 3 spot, as juniors Haig Schneiderman and Rajeev Deb-Sen downed the Brown duo of Sam Fife and Charlie Posner, 8-5.
But the damage was done, as Brown had an early 1-0 lead on the Lions. From there, despite the fact that Columbia managed to earn two singles wins, Brown ended up on top. The Bears notched wins at nos. 3-6 to take the advantage.
Schneiderman had a win in the No. 1 spot for the Lions, as he beat Brandon Burke in straight sets, 7-5. 6-2. And senior Kung had Columbia’s other point, as he beat Mike Hill, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3. Gery and Deb-Sen both lost in straight sets, while Tizian Bucher and John Yetimoglu had three set battles that ended with a loss.
Up next for the Lions is a pair of home matches, as Columbia will host Binghamton and Army, Friday, February 25 and Saturday, February 26. Both matches are slated for a 2 p.m. start.
Brown 5, Columbia 2
1. Brandon Burke/Soufiane Azarqui (BROWN) def. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) 8-6
2. Kendrick Au/Tom Deighton (BROWN) def. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (COL) 8-6
3. Haig Schneiderman/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) def. Sam Fife/Charlie Posner (BROWN) 8-5
1. Haig Schneiderman (COL) def. Brandon Burke (BROWN) 7-5, 6-2
2. Kevin Kung (COL) def. Mike Hill (BROWN) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Sam Fife (BROWN) def. Nathaniel Gery (COL) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kendrick Au (BROWN) def. John Yetimoglu (COL) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Timmy Klanke (BROWN) def. Tizian Bucher (COL) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
6. Soufiane Azarqui (BROWN) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) 6-2, 6-3
Saturday , October 04
Football Columbia Football Today (Week 3)