Men’s Tennis Notches 6-1 Win Over Stony Brook
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team had a dominating win over Stony Brook Friday, 6-1, to head into the spring break trip on a three-match win streak. The Lions swept the doubles matches and Nos. 2-6 singles to take the win.
Columbia dominated the doubles point, taking all three matches with ease. Nathaniel Gery and Kevin Kung had a quick win in the No.1 spot, 8-1, while Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher won 8-2 at No.2 and Rajeev Deb-Sen and Haig Schneiderman won 8-2 in the No.3 spot.
The Lions had all straight set wins in Nos.2-6 singles. At No.2 singles, sophomore Cyril Bucher beat Ivan Rummel, 6-2, 6-2, while his brother, first-year Tizian Bucher had a 6-3, 7-5 win over Ryan Schmitz in the No.5 spot. Senior Kevin Kung won 6-0, 6-4 over Roope Kailaheimo at No.3, while sophomore Gery beat Francesco Arciuli at No.4, 6-2, 7-5. And junior Rajeev Deb-Sen won in the No.6 spot, beating Mehmet Duru, 6-2, 6-4. Columbia’s lone loss came at No.1, where Scheniderman fell to Nikita Formin, 7-5, 6-1.
Up next for the Lions is a match against Southern Methodist in Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, March 15 at 2 p.m.
Columbia 6, Stony Brook 1
1. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) def. Roope Kailaheimo/Nikita Fomin (SB) 8-1
2. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Francesco Arciuli/Ryan Schmitz (SB) 8-2
3. Rajeev Deb-Sen/Haig Schneiderman (COL) def. Mehmet Duru/Ivan Rummel (SB) 8-2
1. Nikita Fomin (SB) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 7-5, 6-1
2. Cyril Bucher (COL) def. Ivan Rummel (SB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kevin Kung (COL) def. Roope Kailaheimo (SB) 6-0, 6-4
4. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Francesco Arciuli (SB) 6-2, 7-5
5. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Ryan Schmitz (SB) 6-3, 7-5
6. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) def. Mehmet Duru (SB) 6-2, 6-4