Men's Tennis Downed by Harvard, 5-2
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team lost a tough match to Harvard Saturday in Cambridge, Mass., as the Crimson swept the doubles point and four singles matches to take the win, 5-2. With the loss, the Lions are now 6-12 overall, 0-2 in the Ivy League.
The doubles point was closely contested, as all three matches went long. At No.1, Nathaniel Gery and Kevin Kung lost 8-6, while juniors Rajeev Deb-Sen and Haig Schneiderman also lost at No.3, 8-6. And in the No.2 doubles spot, brothers Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher had an even tougher battle, but ended up losing, 9-7. With the sweep, Harvard had an early 1-0 lead over the Lions.
Singles also proved to be a battle, as the two teams had three matches go to a third set. Harvard had two quick wins in the Nos. 1 and 4 spot, as Schneiderman fell to Johnathan Pearlman, 6-2, 6-3 at No.1, and Gery lost in the No.4 spot to Casey MacMaster, 6-4, 6-2. Columbia answered with a win in the No.6 spot from first-year Tizian Bucher, as he beat Joshua Tchan, 7-6, 6-4. With the score at 3-1, Harvard needed just one more win to clinch the team victory.
But it wouldn’t come easily for the Crimson. All three remaining matches were battles that went to the third set. At No.3, sophomore Cyril Bucher rallied back after a first set loss to take the second set and force a third, but in the end, Harvard’s Alistair Felton came out on top, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. And senior Kung had a tough fight in the No.2 spot against Aba Omodele-Lucien, where he lost, 2-6, 7-5, 7-5. Columbia would earn one more team point in the No.5 spot, where sophomore John Yetimoglu held off Andy Nguyen, winning 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.
Up next for the Lions are a pair of Ivy League matches on their home turf, as Columbia will host Yale and Brown, Saturday, April 8 and Sunday, April 9, with both matches starting at 2 p.m.
Harvard 5, Columbia 2
1. Casey MacMaster/Aba Omodele-Lucien (HARV) def. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) 8-6
2. Jonathan Pearlman/Joshua Tchan (HARV) def. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (COL) 9-7
3. Alistair Felton/Andy Nguyen (HARV) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen/Haig Schneiderman (COL) 8-6
1. Jonathan Pearlman (HARV) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-2, 6-3
2. Aba Omodele-Lucien (HARV) def. Kevin Kung (COL) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Alistair Felton (HARV) def. Cyril Bucher (COL) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Casey MacMaster (HARV) def. Nathaniel Gery (COL) 6-4, 6-2
5. John Yetimoglu (COL) def. Andy Nguyen (HARV) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Joshua Tchan (HARV) 7-6, 6-4