Men's Tennis Easily Handles Brown, 5-2
The Lions (12-7, 2-2 Ivy League) earned the doubles point early in the day and picked up singles wins in the top three flights and the No. 5 spot to notch the victory.
Dragos Ignat and Bert Vancura earned the first doubles victory, defeating Brandon Burke and William Spector by an 8-5 score. The 66th-ranked doubles duo of Max Schnur and Ashok Narayana captured the point with an 8-2 downing of Mike Hill and Justin To, giving Columbia a 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
Nate Gery was solid for the Lions at No. 5, grabbing the first singles win of the day in straight sets over Burke, 6-3, 6-1. Ignat kept things rolling with a 6-4, 6-4 straight-set victory over Hill at No. 2, leaving Columbia in search of just one more point to clinch the match as the Lions continued their dominance with a 3-0 lead.
Winston Lin was the deciding point of the day as he defeated Michael Riechmann in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. After winning the first set with ease, Lin found himself down by 2-3 in set two. The sophomore rallied with a comeback to post the straight-set victory, proving just why he ranks at No. 60 in the nation.
Narayana finished off the win with the Lions’ fifth point at the No. 3 spot in a tightly contested 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8) battle with Spector.
Columbia will look to win its second straight as the Lions host No. 65 Yale at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center on Sunday at 2 p.m. A live blog will be available for the match.
1. Max Schnur/Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Mike Hill /Justin To (BRO), 8-2
2. Dragos Ignat/Bert Vancura (COL) def. Brandon Burke/William Spector (BRO), 8-4
3. Soufiane Azargui/Michael Riechmann (BRO) def. Winston Lin/Eric Rubin (COL), 8-6
1. Winston Lin (COL) def. Michael Riechmann (BRO), 6-2, 6-4
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Mike Hill (BRO), 6-4, 6-4
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. William Spector (BRO), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
4. Sam Fife (BRO) def. Max Schnur (COL), 2-6, 2-6
5. Nate Gery (COL) def. Brandon Burke (BRO), 6-1, 6-3
6. Daniel Hirschberg (BRO) def. Bert Vancura (COL), 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (6)