Men’s Tennis Falls to Cornell in Second Round of ECACs, 6-1
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team fell to Ivy League rival Cornell in the second round of the ECAC tournament in Cambridge, Mass., Saturday, by a score of 6-1. With the loss, Columbia stands at 3-3 overall on the season.
Cornell won the doubles point by taking wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles, despite Columbia’s win in the No. 1 spot. There, sophomore Nathaniel Gery and senior Kevin Kung beat Jonathan Jaklitsch and Evan Bernstein of Cornell, 8-6. But it wasn’t enough to stop the Big Red, as they took two wins to clinch the doubles point and go up, 1-0.
From there, Cornell used the momentum they’d gained in doubles to roll through singles, taking wins in five of the six singles spots. The Big Red, who are the No. 1 seed in the tournament, had wins at Nos. 1-3 and Nos. 5 and 6 to take the win. Columbia’s lone win came in the No. 4 spot, where Gery beat Jeremy Feldman in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1.
With the loss, Columbia advances to the back draw, where Ivy League opponent Brown waits. The Lions will take on the Bears in a consolation match, Sunday, February 20 at 1:30 p.m., at the Manchester Athletic Club in Cambridge.
Cornell 6, Columbia 1
1. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) def. Jonathan Jaklitsch/Evan Bernstein (COR) 8-6
2. Andy Gauthier/Jeremy Feldman (COR) def. Cyril Bucher/Sho Matsumoto (COL) 8-4
3. Evan McElwain/Mirza Klis (COR) def. John Yetimoglu/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) 8-5
1. Jonathan Jaklitsch (COR) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-2, 6-4
2. Andy Gauthier (COR) def. Cyril Bucher (COL) 6-1, 6-0
3. Mirza Klis (COR) def. Kevin Kung (COL) 6-1, 6-3
4. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Jeremy Feldman (COR) 6-2, 6-1
5. Evan Bernstein (COR) def. John Yetimoglu (COL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Zhongming Chen (COR) def. Tizian Bucher (COL) 6-2, 6-4