Menís Tennis Scores Second Straight Win with 6-1 Defeat of Army
NEW YORK – The Dick Savitt Tennis Center was home to a Columbia men’s tennis team win for the second day in a row Saturday, as the Lions beat Army, 6-1 to improve to 5-4 overall on the season. Columbia took all three doubles matches and Nos. 2-6 singles to clinch the non-league win.
Sophomore Nathaniel Gery and Kevin Kung, a Columbia doubles duo that holds a national ranking of No.69 in the latest ITA poll, had the first win of the day for the Lions. They won in the No.1 spot, 8-2. Juniors Haig Schneiderman and Rajeev Deb-Sen clinched the doubles point for the Lions when they had a win at No.3 doubles, beating the Army duo 8-5. And the Bucher brothers teamed up once again to take a win and make it a sweep of the doubles point, as Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher won in a tiebreaker at the No. 2 spot, 9-8(4).
With the early advantage, Columbia looked to continue rolling with the momentum into singles. Gery helped make sure that would happen, as he had a quick win in the No. 2 singles spot. There, Gery beat Henry Jang-Milsten, 6-1, 6-0. His win put the Lions up 2-0, and just a few minutes later, Tizian Bucher would make it 3-0, with his resounding win at No. 6. There, he beat Andrew Cleark, 6-0, 6-0.
Senior Kevin Kung clinched the team win in Columbia’s favor when he won his singles match in the No.3 spot. There, he beat Alex Holland, 6-2, 6-2, to give the Lions a 4-0 lead. Sophomore John Yetimoglu had a win in the No.5 singles spot, beating Allen Xu, 6-0, 7-5, while sophomore Cyril Bucher won in a third set tiebreaker over Tripp Johnson at No.2, 6-7, 6-1, 1-0. Columbia’s lone loss came in the No.1 singles spot, where Schneiderman struggled against Asika Isoh, falling 6-4, 6-2.
With the win, the Lions are now 5-4 on the season overall. Up next for Columbia is another match in the Dick Savitt Tennis Center, as the Lions will host Stony Brook, Friday, March 4 at 2 p.m.
Columbia 6, Army 1
1. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) def. Tripp Johnson/Rommel Verano (ARMY) 8-2
2. Tizian Bucher/Cyril Bucher (COL) def. Henry Jang-Milsten/Asika Isoh (ARMY) 9-8 (10-4)
3. Haig Schneiderman/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) def. Andrew Clark/Alex Holland (ARMY) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*
1. Asika Isoh (ARMY) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Cyril Bucher (COL) def. Tripp Johnson (ARMY) 6-7, 6-1, 1-0
3. Kevin Kung (COL) def. Alex Holland (ARMY) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Henry Jang-Milsten (ARMY) 6-1, 6-0
5. John Yetimoglu (COL) def. Allen Xu (ARMY) 6-0, 7-5
6. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Andrew Clark (ARMY) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 6, 3*, 1, 5, 2