Men’s Tennis Trumped by #61 Texas Christian, 6-1
NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team dropped a tough match on a windy day in Dallas Thursday, as the Lions fell to TCU, 6-1. With the loss, the Lions are now 6-6 overall, while TCU improved to 5-8.
The Horned Frogs took a lead early on, as TCU swept all three doubles points. Junior Rajeev Deb-Sen and Haig Schneiderman were the first to fall at No.3, as they lost, 8-3, while Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher fell at No.2, 8-6. And in the No.1 doubles spot, senior Kevin Kung and sophomore Nathaniel Gery lost a tough match to the #44 ranked doubles team in the nation, 8-6.
Singles saw five quick losses for the Lions, all in straight sets. Schneiderman, taking on another nationally ranked opponent, had the first loss in the No.1 spot. He fell to #74 Emanuel Brighiu, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, Gery fell in the No.4 spot to Zach Nichols, 6-2, 6-4, and Cyril Bucher’s loss at No.3 clinched the team win for TCU. Bucher fell to Soren Goritzka, 6-3, 6-4.
Columbia’s lone point came in the No.2 spot, where senior Kevin Kung won, when his opponent, Slah Mbarek, retired in the second set. Tizian Bucher lost at No.6 to Daniel Sanchez, 6-3, 6-3, while senior Sho Matsumoto fell at No.5, 6-1, 6-4 to Christopher Price.
The Lions have two more matches in their spring break road trip, before returning to the Dick Savitt Tennis Center next weekend.
#61 TCU 6, Columbia 1
1. #44 Emanuel Brighiu/Christopher Price (TCU) def. Nathaniel Gery/Kevin Kung (COL) 8-6
2. Slah Mbarek/Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (COL) 8-6
3. Paul Chappell/Cameron Nash (TCU) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen/Haig Schneiderman (COL) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. #74 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kevin Kung (COL) def. Slah Mbarek (TCU) 6-7 (7-9), 0-1, retired
3. Soren Goritzka (TCU) def. Cyril Bucher (COL) 6-3, 6-4
4. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Nathaniel Gery (COL) 6-2, 6-4
5. Christopher Price (TCU) def. Sho Matsumoto (COL) 6-1, 6-4
6. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Tizian Bucher (COL) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3*, 2, 6, 5