NEW YORK - The Columbia men's tennis team finished its 2011 spring break trip with a 4-0 loss to New Mexico State in a neutral site match in Arlington, Texas, Saturday. With the loss, the Lions are now 6-8 overall.
The match began with the doubles point, which New Mexico State clinched with wins in the Nos.1 and 3 spots. Senior Kevin Kung and sophomore Nathaniel Gery dropped a tough match in the No.1 spot, 8-6, while juniors Haig Schneiderman and Rajeev Deb-Sen also fell 8-6 in the No.3 spot. Cyril Bucher and Tizian Bucher were playing in the No.2 doubles spot, but that match stopped when the doubles point was clinched.
In singles, New Mexico had three straight set wins to end the match. At No.1, Schneiderman was taking on nationally-ranked #67 Arthur Surreaux, and fell 6-4, 6-4. Sophomore Cyril Bucher lost in the No.2 spot to Jim Brouleau, 6-2, 6-0, and first-year Tizian Bucher fell at No.5 to Luis Ramirez, 7-5, 6-4. With New Mexico State clinching the 4-0 team win, the remaining three matches were suspended, and remain unfinished.
Up next for Columbia is a home stand weekend, as the Lions host two non-league opponents before beginning the Ivy League slate. Friday, March 25, Columbia will host Illinois State, before hosting local rival St. John's, Saturday, March 26 at 2 p.m.
NM State-4, Columbia-0
1. #67 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) def. Haig Schneiderman (Columbia) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Cyril Bucher (Columbia) 6-2, 6-0
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) vs. Kevin Kung (Columbia) unfinished
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) vs. Nathaniel Gery (Columbia) unfinished
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Tizian Bucher (Columbia) 7-5, 6-4
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) vs. Rajeev Deb-Sen (Columbia) unfinished