NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team dropped a match to Princeton Friday in New Jersey, 5-2. Columbia won the doubles point and forced three singles matches to a third set, but couldn’t pull out the win.
In doubles, Columbia’s Nathaniel Gery and John Yetimoglu had a win in the No.1 spot. 8-6, while Haig Schneiderman and Sho Matsumoto won at No.3, 9-8. Though Tizian Bucher and Cyril Bucher fell in the No.2 doubles spot, 8-6, it had no affect on the point, as Columbia had already clinched it.
Up 1-0 heading into singles, the momentum seemed to be on the Lion side of the net. But Princeton, who are a perfect 6-0 in the Ivy League, were not about to be upset by Columbia.
First-year Tizian Bucher made it 2-0 Columbia by beating Princeton’s Dan Richardson in the No.5 singles spot, 6-4, 6-3. But Princeton soon tied it up with straight set wins at Nos. 4 and 1. At No.4, sophomore Cyril Bucher lost to Matt Siow, 6-0, 6-3, while junior Haig Schneiderman fell to Matija Pecotic at 1, 6-4, 6-2.
With the team match tied up at 2-2, three other matches were left on the court. And all three headed to a third set. At No.2, sophomore Nathaniel Gery had rallied back from a first set loss to Matt Spindler to force a third, but couldn’t sustain it, falling 6-1, 2-6, 6-2. Sophomore John Yetimoglu also forced a third set with a tiebreaker in the second set. But in the end, Augie Bloom took the win at No.3, 6-3, 6-7(3), 7-6(7).
That point clinched the win for Princeton as the final match conluced at No.6 singles. There, Columbia junior Rajeev Deb-Sen fell to Alex Faust, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
With the loss ,the Lions are now 7-14 overall, 1-4 in the Ivy League. Up next for Columbia is a home match against Penn, Sunday, April 17 at 2 p.m.
Princeton 5, Columbia 2
1. Gery/Yetimoglu (C) def. Pecotic/Siow (P), 8-6
2. Michael Lin/Yohei Shoji (P) def. C. Bucher/T. Bucher (C), 8-6
3. Matsumoto/Schneiderman (C) def. Bloom/Faust (P), 9-8
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Matija Pecotic (P) def. Haig Schneiderman (C), 6-4, 6-2
2. Matt Spindler (P) def. Nathaniel Gery (C), 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Augie Bloom (P) def. John Yetimoglu (C), 6-3, 6-7(3), 7-6(7)
4. Matt Siow (P) def. Cyril Bucher (C), 6-0, 6-3
5. Tizian Bucher (C) def. Dan Richardson (P), 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Faust (P) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen (C), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,4,1,2,3,6