NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team won its seventh-straight match Friday in Arlington, Texas, as the Lions rallied back from an early deficit to defeat Texas-Arlington, 4-3. With the win, the Lions are now 11-2 overall this year.
UTA came out early, beating Columbia in two of the three doubles matches to take the first point of the day. The Mavs had wins in the Nos.1 and 3 spots to go up 1-0. Mindaugas Celedinas and partner Soren Goritzka beat first-years Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur in the No.1 spot, 8-5, while UTA’s Stefan Williams and Nicolas Moreno won at No.3 over Nathaniel Gery and John Yetimoglu, 8-5. Columbia had a win in the No.2 spot, where Haig Schneiderman and Winston Lin beat David Subirats and Yauheni Yakauleu, 8-5.
Down 1-0 heading into singles, Columbia had to rally and take at least four of the six singles matches to continue its winning streak. And the Lions managed to do just that, as three underclassmen at the bottom of the lineup came up big for Columbia.
Sophomore Tizian Bucher started the charge for the Lions, as he had a straight set win at No.6, beating Jason Lateko, 6-1, 6-4. First-year Bert Vancura continued the trend at No.5, beating Subirats, 6-3, 6-2. Narayana made it 3-3 with his 6-4, 6-2 win over Moreno at No.4 and first-year Lin clinched it with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Goritzka at No.2 singles.
The Mavs got wins in the Nos.1 and 3 spots, as Celedinas beat Schneiderman, 6-3, 6-4 at No.1, and Yakauleu beat Gery at No.3, 7-6, 7-5.
Columbia 4, Texas-Arlington 3
1. Celedinas/Goritzka (UTA) def. Naryana/Max Schnur (COL), 8-5
2. Schneiderman/Lin (COL) def. Subirats/Yakauleu (UTA), 8-5
3. Moreno/Stefan Williams (UTA) def. Gery/John Yetimoglu (COL), 8-5
1. Mindaugas Celedinas (UTA) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL), 6-3. 6-4
2. Winston Lin (COL) def. Soren Goritzka (UTA), 7-6, 6-3
3. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) def. Nathaniel Gery (COL), 7-6, 7-5
4. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Nicolas Moreno (UTA), 6-4, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. David Subirats (UTA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Jason Lateko (UTA), 6-1, 6-4
Kentucky / Tulsa