OXFORD, Miss. – The No. 44 Columbia men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 13 Ole Miss in the opening round of the Oxford bracket of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event. The Lions will face No. 36 Louisville Saturday, Jan. 25 in the consolation match.
The match got underway with doubles competition. The top match featured a pair of ranked doubles teams in No. 17 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur from Columbia going up against No. 43 Nik Scholtz and Jonas Lutjen. The Rebels would get an early leg up, taking the match 8-4.
Dragos Igant and Eric Rubin evened the doubles action with a tiebreak victory over Stefan Lindmark and Johan Backstrom in the No. 3 match. Igant and Rubin won the tiebreaker 7-2 to make the No. 2 match the deciding contest. Unfortunately for the Lions, Ole Miss’ 25th-ranked team of William Kallberg and Adrian Skogeng topped Winston Lin and Nathanial Gery by a score of 8-5.
Singles competition would favor Ole Miss as well, winning three of the four completed matches to secure the 4-1 victory. The Rebels took the top three singles matches to earn the four required points needed to advance to the finals Saturday against No. 41 North Carolina State.
Eric Rubin proved the bright spot of the match for Columbia, winning the No. 4 singles match in three sets to give the Lions their lone point.
No. 13 Ole Miss 4,
No. 44 Columbia University 1
1. No. 43 Nik Scholtz/Jonas Lutjen (OM) def. No. 17 Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (CU) 8-4
2. No. 25 William Kallberg/Adrian Skogeng (OM) def. Winston Lin/Nathaniel Gery (CU) 8-5
3. Dragos Ignat/Eric Rubin (CU) def. Stefan Lindmark/Johan Backstrom (OM) 8-7, 7-2
1. No. 33 Nik Scholtz (OM) def. No. 44 Winston Lin (CU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
2. No. 5 Jonas Lutjen (OM) def. Ashok Narayana (CU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
3. No. 95 William Kallberg (OM) def. Dragos Ignat (CU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Eric Rubin (CU) def. Johan Backstrom (OM) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 10-5
5. Max Schnur (CU) vs. Stefan Lindmark (OM) 6-3, unfinished
6. Bert Vancura (CU) vs. Adrian Skogeng (OM) 6-4, unfinished
Columbia University 0-2; National ranking #44
Ole Miss 1-0; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,2,4)
Ole Miss advances to face NC State in the championship match.
Columbia will meet Louisville in the consolation