No. 46 Menís Tennis Dominates Binghamton, 6-1
NEW YORK - The No. 46 men's tennis team hosted Binghamton at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Saturday afternoon, defeating the visiting Bearcats by a score of 6-1.
The Lions got off to a strong start, sweeping the doubles matches. Dragos Ignat and Eric Rubin got things started with an 8-4 win in the No. 3 match over Alex Maisin and Hazarika. Winston Lin and Cyril Bucher followed suit, downing Robin Lesage and Eliott Hureau, 8-3, in the No. 2 match. Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur completed the sweep with a close 8-7 win over Ismael Dinia and Bornkessel.
Lin got things going for Columbia in singles action, taking down Lesage in the top match, 6-1, 6-3. Rubin gave the Lions a 3-0 advantage with a straight-set win over Haggai in the No. 5 match.
Schnur posted identical 6-3 sets to get past Dinia in the No. 4 match. Nate Gery faced a tough challenge from Hareau, but prevailed in two sets, 6-4, 7-5. Ignat notched Columbia's final point, coming back from one set down to defeat Maisin, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Columbia returns to the courts at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Friday, March 1 when it hosts George Washington.
1) Narayana/Schnur (C) def. Dinia/Bornkessel (B) - 8-7
2) Lin/Bucher (C) def. Lesage/Hureau (B) - 8-3
3) Ignat/Rubin (C) def. Maisin/Hazarika (B) - 8-4
Order: 3, 2, 1
1) Winston Lin (C) def. Robin Lesage (B) - 6-1, 6-3
2) Dragos Ignat (C) def. Alex Maisin (B) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Sid Hazarika (B) def. Ashok Narayana (C) - 5-7, 6-3, 1-0(10)
4) Max Schnur (C) def. Ismael Dinia (B) - 6-3, 6-3
5) Eric Rubin (C) def. Ruben Haggai (B) - 6-1, 6-2
6) Nate Gery (C) def. Eliott Hureau (B) - 6-4, 7-5
Order: 1, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3