NEW YORK - The No. 33 Columbia men's tennis team took on No. 50 George Washington for the second time in two weeks, hosting the Colonials at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Friday afternoon. Despite dropping the doubles point, the Lions captured four singles matches to secure the 4-3 win.
Columbia looked to have the upper hand in the doubles portion of the match, as No. 22 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur won the No. 1 match over Alexander van Gils and Ulrik Thomsen, 8-1. Unfortunately, the Colonials came away with victories in the No. 2 and 3 matches to go up 1-0 on the Lions.
The Lions were able to even the match score at the start of singles competition with Eric Rubin winning the No. 5 match. Going up against Leonardo Lapentti, Rubin cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
The Colonials bounced right back though with a win in the No. 2 match by Nikita Fomin. From that point, Columbia was able to swing the momentum in their favor. Bert Vancura tied the match at 2-2 with a 7-5, 6-4 topping of Ulrik Thomsen in the No. 6 match.
No. 36 Winston Lin gave Columbia its first lead of the match with a grind-it-out win in the top contest. Lin went up against No. 114 Francisco Dias, defeating the Colonials' sophomore, 7-6(4), 7-5.
Max Schnur locked up the match in Columbia's favor with a hard-fought victory in the No. 4 match. Schnur's second win of the day came once again over van Gils, 7-6(9), 6-4.
Columbia will compete Saturday, March 2 in an exhibition match between the current team and the program's alumni. The Lions will next be in NCAA action against St. John's Friday, March 8 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
Columbia 4, George Washington 3
1) Winston Lin (C) def. Francisco Dias (GW) - 7-6(4), 7-5
2) Nikita Fomin (GW) def. Dragos Ignat (C) - 6-3, 6-2
3) Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Ashok Narayana (C) - 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
4) Max Schnur (C) def. Alexander van Gils (GW) - 7-6(9), 6-4
5) Eric Rubin (C) def. Leonardo Lapentti (GW) - 6-0, 6-1
6) Bert Vancura (C) def. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) - 7-5, 6-4
1) Narayana/Schnur (C) def. van Gils/Thomsen (GW) - 8-1
2) Zelenkov/Fomin (GW) def. Lin/Gery (C) - 8-4
3) Dias/Lapentti (GW) def. Ignat/Rubin (C) - 8-4
Order of Finish
Singles: 5, 2, 6, 1, 4, 3
Doubles: 1, 3, 2