NEW YORK – The 44th-ranked Columbia men’s tennis team put together a strong performance in singles action to knock off No. 41 Cornell, 4-3, at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
Doubles action came down to the No. 2 match after Cornell won the No. 3 match, while Columbia notched a win in the top match. Cornell’s Kyle Berman and Sam Fleck combined to win the first completed match, downing Dragos Ignat and Bert Vancura, 8-4. Columbia responded with an 8-6 victory by the 36th-ranked doubles tandem of Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur in the No. 1 match.
The No. 2 match that featured Columbia’s Cyril Bucher and Winston Lin versus Cornell’s Jason Luu and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen would serve as the decisive contest. Both teams held serve throughout, sending the match to tiebreaker where Luu and Nguyen would squeak out the 9-8 (8) victory.
The lead would be short-lived for Cornell, as the Lions would dominate the initial stages of singles action, winning the first four completed matches.
No. 52 Winston Lin evened the team score at 1-1, easing past Venkat Iyer in the top singles match, 6-3, 6-1. Narayana put the Lions ahead for good with a straight-set victory in the No. 3 match over the Big Red’s Alex Sidney.
Bert Vancura posted Columbia’s third point, working hard for a win in the No. 6 match. Cornell’s Berman played Vancura tough throughout the match, but Vancura secured a tiebreak victory in the opening set, 7-6 (5), and then secured the win by taking the second set, 6-4.
Dragos Ignat clinched the Ivy-League opener for the Lions with a two-set win of his own in the No. 2 match. Going up against Fleck, Ignat claimed the first set, 6-4, and then sealed the individual and team win with a 6-3 second set. Max Schnur and Nathaniel Gery, representing the Lions in the No. 4 and 5 matches, respectively, retired upon Columbia locking up the team win.
Columbia will travel to No. 16 Harvard and Dartmouth next weekend for a pair of road Ivy League contests.
Columbia 4, Cornell 3
1) No. 36 Narayana/Schnur (COL) def. Iyer/Sidney (CORN) – 8-6
2) Luu/Nguyen (CORN) def. Bucher/Lin (COL) – 9-8(8)
3) Berman/Fleck (CORN) def. Ignat/Vancura (COL) – 8-4
1) No. 52 Winston Lin (COL) def. Venkat Iyer (CORN) – 6-3, 6-1
2) Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Sam Fleck (CORN) – 6-4, 6-3
3) Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Alex Sidney (CORN) – 6-3, 6-0
4) Max Schnur (COL) vs. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (CORN) – 6-7, 5-4, Ret.
5) Nathaniel Gery (COL) vs. Jason Luu (CORN) – 3-6, 6-1, 2-2, Ret.
6) Bert Vancura (COL) def. Kyle Berman (CORN) – 7-6(5), 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 1, 3, 6, 2, 5&4 Retired