NEW YORK – The Columbia men’s tennis team won its second straight match in as many days by a 6-1 score over Yale on Sunday at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The Lions (13-7, 3-2 Ivy League) won the doubles point with a thrilling tiebreaker victory at No. 3 as Winston Lin and Eric Rubin battled to the final point. Ashok and Narayana and Max Schnur also won in the top doubles flight to polish off the victory.
In singles action, Columbia earned victories in five of six flights, with the sole loss coming in a tightly contested battle at No. 1, which Lin fought to the final tiebreaking point before falling to John Huang, 4-6, 6-4 7-6 (6).
Nathaniel Gery won with ease at No. 5 over Jason Brown, earning a singles point in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. Narayana brought the Lions within one point of the victory by defeating Daniel Hoffman at No. 3, 6-4, 6-2.
Max Schnur clinched the win for Columbia by topping Martin Svenning in the fourth position by a 7-6, 6-3 score.
The Lions next contest will be their last home match of the season when they take on Penn on Friday, April 19 for a 2 p.m. at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Daniel Hoffman/Marc Powers (YAL), 8-6
2. John Huang/Patrick Chase (YAL) def. Dragos Ignat/Bert Vancura (COL), 8-6
3. Winston Lin/Eric Rubin (COL) def. Matt Saiontz/Martin Svenning (YAL), 9-8
1. John Huang (YAL) def. Winston Lin (COL), 6-4, 4-6, 7 (6)
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def, Marc Powers (YAL), 6-5, 6-7, 1-0 (5)
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. Daniel Hoffman (YAL), 6-4, 6-2
4. Max Schnur (COL) def. Martin Svenning (YAL), 7-6, 6-4
5. Nate Gery (COL) def. Jason Brown (YAL), 6-1, 6-0
6. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Zach Dean (YAL), 6-3, 1-6, 6-3