NEW YORK - The No. 40 Columbia men’s tennis team fought hard to defeat the Georgia State Panthers at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center on Friday, Jan. 31, 6-0.
Doubles pair Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer took down Felipe Jaworski and Valentin Harvot, 6-1, while Dragos Ignat and Richard Pham finished Jannis Koeke and Eric Baum, 6-0, to clinch the doubles point for Columbia.
The singles competition was a battle all around. Ignat brought home the first singles match, defeating Jaworski, 6-1, 6-1. Mike Vermeer finished his match against Sofiane Chevallier, 6-1, 6-2, bringing yet another point to Columbia. No. 8 Lin dropped his first set 3-6, but came back to win the next two 6-1, 6-1.
Max Schnur won a hard fought match against Koeke, grabbing an exciting first set tiebreaker and winning the second in similar fashion, 6-4. Ashok Narayana and Robert Schultze battled it out in the No. 3 match. Narayana eventually took the first set after a tiebreaker that lasted well into everyone else’s second set. Narayana and Schultze stopped early since Columbia had already clinched the necessary singles points.
The Lions are back in action on Sunday, Feb. 2 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center against DePaul. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 40 Columbia 6, Georgia State 0
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) vs. Thomas Cook/Robert Schultze (GSU), 4-1, unfinished
2. Winston Lin/Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Valentin Horvat/Felipe Jaworski (GSU), 6-1
3. Dragos Ignat/Richard Pham (COL) def. Eric Baum/Jannis Koeke (GSU), 6-0
1. No. 8 Winston Lin (COL) def. Thomas Cook (GSU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Felipe Jaworski (GSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) vs. Robert Schultze (GSU), 6-5, 2-1, unfinished
4. Max Schnur (COL) def. Jannis Koeke (GSU), 6-5, 6-4
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Eric Baum (GSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Sofiane Chevellier (GSU), 6-1, 6-2