No. 20 Men's Tennis Takes Down Middle Tennessee State
NEW YORK - The No. 20 Columbia men’s tennis team took on the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State today at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The Lions went into an early hole, dropping the doubles point. No. 16 Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur won the only doubles match for the Lions, 8-6. Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer fell in the No. 2 match, 8-3, and Dragos Ignat and Richard Pham went down, 8-2, in the No. 3 match.
The Lions came back swinging in the singles competition. Vermeer started the Lions come back with a straight set victory over Sam Matheson at the No. 6 spot. Bert Vancura put the Lions in the lead, 2-1, with his straight set win at the No. 5 spot. At the No. 1 position, Winston Lin finished off Zito in two sets, 6-3, 6-0, putting the Lions within one of victory. Ignat clinched the win for the Lions with his straight set victory over Victor Cornea, 6-4, 6-4.
Both teams agreed to finish the final two singles matches. Narayana took his match in two tight sets, 7-6, 7-5. Schnur went to a tiebreaker for the first two sets, dropping the first and taking the second. They played a 10-point tiebreaker in place of the third set, which Hoang won 10-8.
The Lions are back in action at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center on Saturday, March 8 for their last home match before a long road stretch through March. Columbia will take on Binghamton for the second half of the Lions’ doubleheader with women’s tennis.
No. 20 Columbia 5, Middle Tennessee State 2
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (COL) def. Victor Cornea/David Fox (MTS) 8-6
2. Yannick Born/Aaron Jumonville (MTS) def. Winston Lin/Mike Vermeer (COL) 8-3
3. Victor Hoang/Ettore Zito (MTS) def. Dragos Ignat/Richard Pham (COL) 8-2
1. Winston Lin (COL) def. Ettore Zito (MTS) 6-3, 6-0
2. Ashok Narayana (COL) def. David Fox (MTS) 7-6(3), 7-5
3. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Victor Cornea (MTS) 6-4, 6-4
4. Victor Hoang (MTS) def. Max Schnur (COL) 7-6(7), 6-7(6), 1-0 (8)
5. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Aaron Jumonville (MTS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Sam Matheson (MTS) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (6,5,1,3,2,4)