NEW YORK - The No. 27 Columbia men’s tennis team took down the No.75 Binghamton Bearcats in a 5-0 decision on Saturday at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
The Lions jumped out to an early 1-0 by taking the doubles point. Richard Pham and Bert Vancura brought home the first half of the point when they took down Sid Hazarika and Eliott Hureau, 8-4. Winston Lin and Mike Vermeer clinched the point, finishing Frenk Kote and Vihar Shah in the No. 2 match, 8-3.
No. 12 Winston Lin grabbed the first singles point for Columbia in a straight-set victory over Robin Lesage in the No. 1 match. Dragos Ignat took the No. 2 match in straight sets as well to bring the Lions to within one of the decision. Vancura clinched the fourth singles point and match decision in the No. 4 match, 6-4, 6-4. Mike Vermeer collected the last point for the Lions with a staight-set victory over Florian van Kann.
The Lions take to the road for the remainder of March before returning for the Ivy League home opener against Harvard on Saturday, April 5 at 1 p.m.
No. 27 Columbia 5, No. 75 Binghamton 0
1. Narayana/Schnurr (COL) vs. Dinia/Maisin (BING) 4-3, unfinished
2. Lin/ Vermeer (COL) def. Kote/Shah (BING) 8-3
3. Pham/Vancura (COL) def. Hazarika/Hureau (BING) 8-3
1. Winston Lin (COL) def. Robin Lesage (BING) 6-2, 6-0
2. Dragos Ignat (COL) def. Sid Hazarika (BING) 7-6(5), 6-2
3. Ashok Narayana (COL) vs. Alexander Maisin (BING) 6-3, 3-5 unfinished
4. Bert Vancura (COL) def. Ismael Dinia (BING) 6-4, 6-4
5. Max Schnur (COL) vs. Eloitt Hureau (BING) 6-2, 2-6, unfinished
6. Mike Vermeer (COL) def. Florian van Kann (BING) 6-4, 6-2