Lacrosse Edged By Brown On The Road
Courtesy: Columbia University Athletics/Mike McLaughlin


PROVIDENCE, R.I. - In a double overtime game, the Columbia women's lacrosse team fell to Brown 11-10 in its first Ivy League matchup of the season on Saturday, March 2. The Lions rallied from four goals down at halftime to send the game into overtime. Kacie Johnson led the Columbia offense with four goals and Kelly Buechel had a solid game with a pair of goals, four ground balls and three draw controls.

After five early goals from Brown, Columbia trailed 5-0 midway through the first half of play. The Lions got on the board at 9:13 in the first when Paige Cuscovitch scored off a free-position shot. Two minutes later, Sarah Greenberg fed Kacie Johnson the assist for the second score of the game. Before the first half came to a close, Brown's Bre Hudgins scored her third goal and the Lions trailed 6-2 at the break.

Columbia was unfazed by its deep deficit to the Bears as they started the second half. The Lions scored four unanswered goals to start the second half and tied Brown at 6-6 with 18:48 remaining. Kelly Buechel found the back of the net first and Johnson followed with two straight goals to bring the Lions within one point of the Bears. Soon after, Kaitlin Brophy tied the game with her first score of the game.

Brown responded to the Columbia run with two straight scores to take the lead, but Kate Murphy kept the Lions one point away with a goal at 4:00 remaining in the half. Under two minutes left, the Bears  stretched the lead to 9-7 after a score by Abby Bunting. Again, the Lions were unfazed by the deficit and tallied two goals by Buechel (1:14) and Cuscovitch (0:57) to send the game into overtime at 9-9.

The Bears scored first in overtime when Hudgins posted her fourth goal of the game, to put Brown up 10-9 with one minute left in the first half of the extra session. However, Johnson was able to find the back of the net and tie the game at 10-10 heading into the second frame of overtime. Brown won the next draw control and held the ball until the final 30 seconds. Skylar Dabbar made a huge save with two seconds left to send the game into the second overtime.

The Lions battled hard in the second overtime period with both teams being held scoreless for five minutes. With 42 seconds remaining, Johnson got a shot at the goal but was saved by the Bears. On the next possession, through tough defense, Brown's Lindsay Minges scored with two seconds left in the game to hand Columbia an 11-10 loss. The Lions drop to 1-2 overall and 0-1 in the Ivy League.

Up next, Columbia returns to Robert K. Kraft Field to host Cornell on Saturday, March 9 at 1 p.m.