Game 1 Boxscore
Game 2 Boxscore

NEW YORK - The Columbia baseball team opened its 2013 home slate with a pair of 2-1 and 2-0 victories over NYIT in its first doubleheader of the season at Robertson Field at Satow Stadium Friday afternoon.

The Lions' pitching staff combined for 26 strikeouts on the day, led by first-year Adam Cline's impressive 14-strikeout performance in eight innings of work in game two. David Speer threw a complete game with 10 K's over seven innings to carry the Lions to their first win of the day.

Game 1 Recap:

All the action happened in the first inning as the Lions answered a 1-0 lead by NYIT to start the game with two runs in the bottom of the frame to lead the rest of the way.

David Speer (1-2) earned his first win of the season for the Lions after scattering five hits and fanning 10 in seven innings of work. Speer let up two of those hits and his only walk of the day in the eventful first inning and held the Bears scoreless to finish out the win.

Eric Williams got things started by drawing a walk, and Alex Black advanced him to second by reaching first on a fielder's choice. Nick Ferraresi sent them both to the plate as he ripped a two-run double to left field to put the Columbia ahead in the bottom of the first to make it 2-1 throughout.

Game 2 Recap:

The Lions carried momentum over into game two of the day as Cline threw a career high 14 strikeouts to earn his first win of the season. Reliever Joey Donino also earned his first save of the year as he closed out the contest with another two strikeouts over the last frame.

For the second time of the day, Columbia earned its only two runs of the game in the first inning. Jordan Serena was hit by a pitch and took advantage by stealing second. Crucet then followed with another walk. Williams advanced them to second and third with a groundout, and Black was hit by a pitch to load the bases.

Ferraresi came through with a sacrifice fly to left center field to score Serena. Logan Boyher capped things off with a single to send Crucet to the plate as the Lions held on to a 2-0 lead to close out the game.