Columbia and Yale Battle to Scoreless Draw in Ivy League Men's Soccer Action
Courtesy: Columbia University Athletics/Mike McLaughlin

NEW HAVEN, Conn.-- The Columbia University men's soccer team traveled north to take on Yale on Saturday afternoon. The Lions held the Bulldogs scoreless over 110 minutes and outshot the home team, but could not find the back of the net in settling for a 0-0 draw at Reese Stadium.

After an evenly played first 45 minutes in which each team had four shots, play opened up in the second period for both teams. In the 70th minute, the Lions nearly took the lead as first-year Henning Sauerbier put senior forward Bayo Adafin in with a nice through ball. Adafin slid a shot far post but his attempt went just wide.

Yale would respond in the 76th minute with a quality chance, as Scott Armbrust found himself one-on-one with junior goalkeeper Alexander Aurrichio. Aurrichio came off his line early and smothered Armbrust's shot, and the ball ricocheted off the 6-6 goalkeeper's knee and out of harm's way.

In the 84th minute, Columbia came close to scoring again. Adafin gained possession of the ball on the right side and left-footed a shot that hit directly off the crossbar and away from net.

Minutes later, the Bulldogs made a bid to take the lead as Andy Shorten took a shot from 20 yards but Aurrichio made a lunging save. The match would progress into overtime, with each team recording 12 shots through regulation.

A relatively uneventful first overtime period would be followed by a second extra session, which the Lions controlled. Columbia had a quality opportunity swept away in the 102nd minute, as junior Francois Anderson got his foot on a corner kick from sophomore Nick Scott.

Anderson's shot looked as though it had given Columbia a second consecutive dramatic win, but was saved by a Yale defender to keep the match scoreless. The Lions had two more shots blocked by the Bulldog backline before the final whistle blew to close out the tie.

Columbia will continue its 2010 season on Wednesday, Nov. 3 against Adelphi. The match, which will take place at Columbia Soccer Stadium, will kickoff at 7 p.m.